Author Topic: South Australia Death - Llewellyn WILLIAMS  (Read 692 times)

Offline Peter D Walker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
South Australia Death - Llewellyn WILLIAMS
« on: Friday 03 February 17 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the death of my great uncle who emigrated from the UK in 1929. He was born 8 August 1876 in County Durham. The Passenger List for the Esperance Bay of the Aberdeen Line sailing from Southampton on 16 October 1929 bound for Australia shows Llewellyn  aged 52,  occupation shoemaker, and his sister Frances 59 occupation home duties to land at Sydney. The list also shows that their country of intended future permanent residence is New Zealand. Frances returned to the UK within a year or so and I am led to believe that Llewellyn moved to Australia.

The only death I have found so far for Llewellyn is in 1958 at Gambier, Grey, SA for someone born in 1875. The registration is 884\7508. When he emigrated he was single and may well not have married.

Is anyone able to look at the records and see if this could be my great uncle?

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia Death - Llewellyn WILLIAMS
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 February 17 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Peter  :) :)

Here is an obituary for Mrs Llewellyn WILLIAMS (Julia) who died in Mount Gambier in 1952 and whose husband survives her.   It says they married in 1903.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article80768974

Of course he could be a different LLewellyn WILLIAMS also living in Mount Gambier.

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 February 17 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Peter  :) :)

Here is an obituary for Mrs Llewellyn WILLIAMS (Julia) who died in Mount Gambier in 1952 and whose husband survives her.   It says they married in 1903.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article80768974

Of course he could be a different LLewellyn WILLIAMS also living in Mount Gambier.

Ros

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/80767660
https://billiongraves.com/grave/Julia-Dorothea-Williams/19025301#/
Julia Dorothea WILLIAMS 1883-1952
LLewellyn WILLIAMS 1885-1958
So the LLewellyn WILLIAMS who died in 1958 married Julia Dorothea KRAHNERT in 1903 at Mount Gambier well before OP's LLewellyn WILLIAMS emigrated 1929

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 February 17 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Could we have parents names please. Did LLewellyn WILLIAMS have a middle name? Was LLewellyn mentioned in any death notice or will for his sister or other siblings?

Offline Peter D Walker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 February 17 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Llewellyn's parents were David Williams 1827-1894 and Maria Williams nee Phillpot 1843-1928 both born in Wales but subsequently moved to County Durham. He had no other forename and the family were no rich enough to leave wills. The only other information I have is that he registered the death of his mother in 1928 quoting her address as his. I was contacted a few years ago by a cousin of my mother wanting to know what happened to her uncle Llewellyn who she understood to have gone to Australia. She has since died. The Shipping List said that his final destination was New Zealand but I have been unable to find his death occurring there.

Offline peterdwalker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 February 17 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Following a suggestion made through a PM i have now obtained a transcription of this Llewellyn's death in 1958. Unfortunately, it is not the person I am looking for as this Llewellyn was born in Australia. Ah well, must go on searching. What a pity that there is not a complete index for the whole of Australia instead of the individual states.