Author Topic: Trying to find the Pennsylvania-New Jersey "Roman" connection  (Read 453 times)

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find the Pennsylvania-New Jersey "Roman" connection
« on: Saturday 04 February 17 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

I am trying to establish a connection between branches of the Roman family that immigrated from Poland (Russia) and settled in Philadelphia & Trenton, New Jersey.

John Roman (1868-1946) and his wife Josephine Wasicki-Roman (1878-1963) settled in Philadelphia.  They had numerous children including Mary, Chester, Charles, Saddie, Henry, Edna, Benjamin, and Joseph John.

Stanisaw Roman (1879-1922) and Josephine Pypchenska (1880-?) settled in Trenton, New Jersey.  This couple had numerous children including Catherine, Henry, Antonia, Irene, and Richard.

Thourgh ancestry DNA numerous Roman descendants in Pennsylvania and New Jersey are getting hits as second and third cousins but that this time, we are unable to establish if John and Stanisaw Roman were brothers or cousins.

I hoping that somewhat might be able to help identify the father (or shared common ancestor) of this batch of Romans.  I am not sure which specific area of Poland the family originated from other than it was under the jurisdiction of Russia at the time.

Many thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find the Pennsylvania-New Jersey "Roman" connection
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 17 13:17 GMT (UK) »
U.S. death certificates usually show parents' details (name and birthplace) as do marriage certificates.

Have you looked for their death certificates?

Where did they marry?

Emigration records?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 February 17 14:03 GMT (UK) »
There appears to be a passenger list from 1909 with Stanisaw's daughters Antonia and Kazmira in 1909 with Josephine's mother listed above them - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JFM2-6YX  Ripena, Russia looks like the birthplace of Josephine's mother.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 February 17 14:43 GMT (UK) »
It looks like John's parents are listed as unknown born in Poland on his death certificate.  His wife Josephine's death certificate lists her father as unknown Wasicki and mother as unknown.  There is an obit for Josephine here - https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=129261205 - which doesn't mention anything about her family of origin.

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 February 17 17:11 GMT (UK) »
I haven't come any records that lists the parents of John Roman. I wasn't sure if any Polish records might exist of this family.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 February 17 19:43 GMT (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada