Author Topic: Register of Sasines need to translate  (Read 7287 times)

Offline melbatoast40

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Register of Sasines need to translate
« on: Saturday 04 February 17 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if this is gaelic or latin? And where I might be able to get the whole Sasine translated for a reasonable fee.

Thank you
Cheers
Melodie

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Register of Sasines need to translate
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 17 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Latin to me. (though I really shouldn't be given my opinion on such matters as I have no knowledge on the subject). ;)

There may be someone here who can have a try at translating this for you as there are some latin speaking rootschatters .... 

Added: Have you tried googling to see if there is an online translator for Latin?

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 February 17 23:05 GMT (UK) »
It's a document from 1784 the twenty fourth year of the reign of George III (Vigesimo quarto regnii Georgi Tertius). I can see reference to a subscription by a Notary Public and to a Precept of Sasine ( a document by which a feudal superior might authorise his agent or factor to give possession of his property to someone else, and to a vicecomitatus who was a sheriff, but you need someone with better Latin to explain the rest of it.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 February 17 09:19 GMT (UK) »
If you post it here in sections, the elves will probably translate it for you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 February 17 10:04 GMT (UK) »
It's a document from 1784 the twenty fourth year of the reign of George III (Vigesimo quarto regnii Georgi Tertius).
Definitely Latin.

However I read it as the twenty-fourth day of March in the twenty-seventh year of the reign of George III. ".... die vigesimo quarto ...." and ".... anno vigesimo septimo...."

It mentions Peter Thomson, Gardener at Hayfield but most of the rest of it is formal language and tells me nothing useful. ".... George III by the Grace of God king of Great Britain France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith ...." etc etc.

Though I am uncertain of the implications of 'Tanquam vicecomes in hac parte de vicecomitatis de Edinburgh' which literally translates along the lines of 'in the capacity of sheriff in that part of the sheriffdom of Edinburgh', I think. Is it possible that Peter Thomson, as well as being a gardener, could be a sheriff?

I might be able to decipher a bit more of it if I saw the whole document but if you want a full translation including all the formal stuff you should be able to find someone able to do it via http://www.asgra.co.uk/

For the avoidance of duplication by RootsChatters, see the related thread at
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=764500.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline melbatoast40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all; I have the whole document. I will check with the source you gave me I just have a few questions, I hoping to find the answers in the document. I will post it here as well, I'm really hoping it has information at his children births when, where? His wife where the met?

I will try and attach some more.

Thank you
Melba

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all; I have the whole document. I will check with the source you gave me I just have a few questions, I hoping to find the answers in the document. I will post it here as well, I'm really hoping it has information at his children births when, where? His wife where the met?
If he is really mentioned only in the capacity of a sheriff it is not likely to contain family information.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Is it not likely to be a property transfer document of some sort? As Forfarian says, the property may be mentioned later in the document. The description is usually preface words to the effect of 'All & Whole'...not sure what this is in latin....

His wife where the met?
That's very hopeful ...do any documents ever tell you this  ::) ::) ???
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline melbatoast40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 03:04 GMT (UK) »
Here is page 1 and 2; page 1 is the full page of the early clip. I 'm hoping for information on his children James, Agnes, Helen or his wife Celecia and any information about India. I hoping to find out how old the kids are or when they were born or where. Or any information about the purchases of his property of any mention of relatives. There are twelve pages in total.

Thanks again all
Melba