Author Topic: Aubone Surlees (Surtees) LAWSON - 1850.  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aubone Surlees (Surtees) LAWSON - 1850.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 February 17 10:43 GMT (UK) »
I do find it fascinating, Bitzar, when a thread develops in a way that could not have been predicted at the outset.

Just for information if you access the National Records of Scotland site and its catalogue there are three hits if you search for Annie. The first is as Ann Surtees and is regarding the case versus Mr Dewar. As Annie Surtees there is the Court of Session Wotherspoon case and the conclusion of the sequestration case dated 1875.(Catalogue simply shows they hold these records).

I cannot see any reference to her after this. She may, of course, have changed her name but I wonder if she might have made it to Australia.

I also wonder why Walter's birth was registered as Surtees and Aubone's as Lawson. (Walter incidentally is in Glasgow in the 1871 census. An Ancy. tree has him marrying in London -  not sure if it is him or not as he is not in the family home shown in the 1881 census but you might find it worth a look).

Found it a really interesting search.

Regards

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 February 17 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi bitzar

Here is a link you may find interesting. Doing a search on 'Surtees' on this site came up with this

http://www.uh.edu/waalt/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=Surtees&go=Go

or this may take you directly to the document

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT7/C78/C78no2233/IMG_0072.htm

It mentions Auborn Alfred Surtees - lots of Surtees in fact, not too sure what it is

Claire

Like Millmoor says - a very interesting thread  :)

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 February 17 01:31 GMT (UK) »
William... I'm actually assisting a friend with her family, which are the SURTEES family.  She started off last year and it's just of those families with masses of info, when you can sort it all out because all the children, parents, cousins have the same names, generation after generation!  Luckily this branch had Aubone, something a little different.  Although Aubone was passed down for many generations too.  We have been working from the top of the tree down but when we found an Aubone SURTEES in Australia we worked up, with difficulty, ie - wrong names on marriage cert's and of course death certs.  One name that was always correct an on certs was Annie LAWSON...  I wish I could of known her!

Marvellous Claire, thanks again.  A good read.  You're the one who started us of on this journey last year.

Rgds, Bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England