Author Topic: My Newbury/Berkshire family  (Read 19664 times)

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
Re: My Newbury/Berskshire family
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 02 March 17 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb,

No bother.

The date I gave you for Mary Mayo's birth was an approximate year worked out from the burial.

This looks like her baptism: (once again all info from parish registers for St Nicolas Church Newbury)

1st March 1752 Mary daughter of Totty & Sarah Mayo

siblings:

21st November 1749 John son of Totty & Sarah Mayo (possible burial 3/2/1753 (a child))

30th August 1754 Sarah daughter of Totti & Sarah Mayo (possible burial 20/3/1757 (a child))

14th June 1758 Sarah daughter of Totty & Sarah Mayo

13th July 1760 Elizabeth daughter of Totty & Sarah Mayo

Marriage: (please note this record is a transcribed record not the original record)

Date: 5th December 1745
Groom: Tote Mayo
Bride: Sarah Poor

No baptism found for Tote/Totty/Totti Mayo in these church records.

No baptism found for a Daniel Mayo but there is a gap in the baptism records between 1746-1748 so it's possible he may have been another sibling of Mary Mayo's who was born/baptised sometime between these dates.

Also, there was a baptism record for a Totty Mayo in the index of the baptisms but the actual page (no. 7) was missing (pages 1-7 missing)  so I could not see any details for him but feel sure he was another sibling of Mary Mayo's, baptised before John Mayo in 1749.

Hope this helps!

Chris

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 02 March 17 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Chris thank you!! I'm very appreciative of your time and effort ... hopefully with all this I can connect the dots.  I will let you know how I get on. 

Thank you thank you 😊
Blessings
Deb

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 02 March 17 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch has baptism of a Totty Mayo in Salisbury, Wilts on 26 Dec 1723 s/o Thomas Mayo and Dinah. Date is about right for a 1745 marriage, but I wonder if Salisbury is a bit far from Newbury.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 02 March 17 13:30 GMT (UK) »
And a Thomas Mayo married a Dinah Medhurst on 24 Feb 1721 at Fisherton Anger, Wilts.
There is a baptism for a Catherine Mayo in Salisbury with same parents as Totty in 1722.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 02 March 17 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch has baptism of a Totty Mayo in Salisbury, Wilts on 26 Dec 1723 s/o Thomas Mayo and Dinah. Date is about right for a 1745 marriage, but I wonder if Salisbury is a bit far from Newbury.

Just noticed that this Totty is down as female - so not the right one

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 02 March 17 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Probably a coincidence but a Thomas Mayo of Corsley and Catherine Totty of Frome married at Upton Scudamore on 6 Mar 1693.

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 02 March 17 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Lizzie ... I shall check them all out. 

It does seem that the Totty Mayo born before 1748 is the father of Thomas Totty Mayo 1790 and he also has a son Thomas Totty Mayo born abt 1823 and in the 1861 cencus he's listed as a warder ... which may tie into the Wade family as Jospeh Wade was listed as a Jailor although he was military as well

I'm still piecing it all together :-)

Blessings
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 02 March 17 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Chris ... pieces seem to be coming together another member of the Mayo family that I've been in touch with descend from the Totty Mayo born abt 1748 so  before John Mayo that you mention. He is the one I mentioned who has a son Thomas Totty Mayo 1790 ... the family I have a DNA match to is a John Totty Mayo born abt 1777 married to Mary and has a son William Mayo. 

So I'm thinking it could be possible that John Totty Mayo 1777 might be older brother of Thomas Totty Mayo 1790.  As Totty Mayo (abt 1748) marries Amy North 1772.

Hope I'm making sense. 

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 02 March 17 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie and Deb,

Perhaps the Totty Mayo baptised in 1723 was mistakenly recorded as female. If the record was recorded as d of  (for daughter of)  or s of (for son of)  the letter S could have been mistaken for the letter D.

"Probably a coincidence but a Thomas Mayo of Corsley and Catherine Totty of Frome married at Upton Scudamore on 6 Mar 1693."

To much of a coincidence perhaps!

Upton Scudamore is only about 4 miles from Corsley so it's possible that Thomas Mayo and Catherine Totty married in 1693, had a son Thomas, who then married Dinah Medhurst in 1721.

The Mayo family do not seen to appear in the St Nicolas church records beween 1710-1745 until Tote Mayo's marriage to Sarah Poor.

Chris