Author Topic: Stuck with Drapers in The Mumbles  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Stuck with Drapers in The Mumbles
« on: Tuesday 07 February 17 16:01 GMT (UK) »

I am still stuck with my late Grandfather William James Wilson (1860 - 1937) and am revisiting some of my research, to see if I have left any stone unturned...

This Article from The 'South Wales Post' of 1899 shows that he had over reached himself with Businesses and property aquisition in the 1890's. I have been unable to find any Drapery business in his name in The Mumbles, but am wondering if one was listed in the 1895 Kelly's Directory for Swansea? (The Directories On-line Site seems to have gone or moved, I can't find it:-(

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck with Drapers in The Mumbles
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 17:14 GMT (UK) »

Many thanks Osprey. I didn't know that they were with The University of Leicester now.

I will have a wade through!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 June 17 07:34 BST (UK) »
Wow I came on here to find out about mumbles because an ancestor had performed there and I thought it was name of theatre

I'm near Leicester so could access files may find my ggfather George Fellman in those Kelly's directories he lived there sometime before 1911- til his death in 1924

Would be happy to look for you too .B
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 June 17 08:14 BST (UK) »

Brigidmac, - these Directories are available on line. Osprey has given the Link:

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/cdm/map/collection/p16445coll4

I still can't find my Grandfather William James Wilson (1860 - 1937) Listed as a Draper, - but he's on there as a Painter and Decorator. Hope that you've managed to find who you were looking for.

Romilly.
Researching:

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 June 17 10:43 BST (UK) »
thanks Romily for telling me + Osprey for link (I didnt click on it cos often get lost in computer hyperspace .but i find on line stuff very hard on eyes so if i can go to leicester uni when looking for my stuff i will turning 30 pages at once on line is tedious + eye straining ...maybe there is an easier way ....have you found your drapers yet ?

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 June 17 14:35 BST (UK) »

Hi brigidmac,

I think that the Trade Directories were only published at 5 yearly intervals, and so the period that I'm interested in, 1893 - 1895, is tricky to find. I only knew that my Grandfather had a Drapery Business in The Mumbles when I found it listed in the entry for 'First Letters of Administration' in 1899. (This was the first stage in bankruptcy proceedings). I also found Newspaper Articles concerning this on the 'Welsh Newspapers On-line Site'. Have you tried searching on there for any mention of your relatives? It's at:

http://newspapers.library.wales/

Romilly.
Researching:

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 June 17 23:29 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks romily some strange occurrences in there .

Good luck with your search