Author Topic: Looking for will of Charles Collier died Leicester 1850  (Read 1031 times)

Offline minijimaus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for will of Charles Collier died Leicester 1850
« on: Tuesday 07 February 17 23:30 GMT (UK) »
I would be very grateful for help to find the will of Charles Collier, hat-maker of Leicester, who died in Leicester on 25 July 1850.

My purpose is to determine if the will contains any clues as to his birthplace. Charles was born circa 1777 and the location of his birth is as yet unidentified.

Thank you for your help.

James

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for will of Charles Collier died Leicester 1850
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Do you know for certain that he left a will?  Nothing is coming up on F M P, who have copies of Leicestershire wills, and there is nothing listed on the Leicestershire & Rutland Will indexes CD either.

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline minijimaus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Jomot

Unfortunately I'm not certain whether Charles left a will. He owned a hat-making business and premises in Gallowtree Gate which his eldest son (also Charles) operated after his death. I presumed he left a will to disburse his assets however that's an educated guess.

Thank you for taking the time to look up the records.

Cheers

James

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 00:38 GMT (UK) »

Looks like the couple Charles and Hannah ( Cockayne ) were married in Leicester 1801. Their son born Leicester 1809 was baptised in Glossop, Derbys. 27 Aug 1834.

Maybe a clue ?
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 00:49 GMT (UK) »

Looks like the couple Charles and Hannah ( Cockayne ) were married in Leicester 1801. Their son born Leicester 1809 was baptised in Glossop, Derbys. 27 Aug 1834.

Maybe a clue ?

For info, the same son (James William) was baptised in Leicester on 22 Sep 1809 but as William.  Date of birth is 15 Sep 1809 on both entries.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Charles also went bankrupt in 1834, says Charles the Elder ,  Hatter and former Innkeeper ... formerly of Leicester

Offline minijimaus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Jomot and Claire

Thank you both for the followup.

I checked the Glossop parish registers some time ago without success - but it's worth another look.

I hadn't picked up the change of names for William/James William between his two baptisms. That's the advantage of your fresh eyes.

I had seen the bankruptcy notices for Charles and assumed the phrase 'formerly of Leicester' referred to his residency rather than his birthplace. However, Charles was resident in Leicester at the time of his bankruptcy (and for his entire life) so the 'formerly' reference is odd.

Thank you again for your help.

Cheers

James

Cheers

James

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 07:29 GMT (UK) »

It did seem a little odd although the newspaper article which appeared 1935ish is about the time of the sons second baptism -could be they were in Glossop at that time.
 There are plenty of newspaper articles too, with references to the Inns he was keeping in Leicester.

Also in the 1841 census for Leicestershire the family state they were all 'not born in county' but son James was born in Leicestershire in 1809.

I have checked Non Conformist registers also but nothing there either.

Claire

Offline minijimaus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Claire

Thank you for checking the Non-Conformist registers.

You've provided a good insight about Charles' location in Glossop in 1834-5 which I'll follow up.

Yes, Charles was quite the entrepreneur, branching out from hat-making to pub ownership. That expansion must have played a role in his bankruptcy.

I was aware of the 1841 census 'not born in Leicestershire' and presume the inaccuracy evident for other family members also applied to Charles. Therefore, he could or could not have been born in Leicestershire.

Thank you for the time you've given to my problem.

Cheers

James