Author Topic: Marks  (Read 879 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Marks
« on: Wednesday 08 February 17 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Many people think that in the past people just made a cross as their mark but really many symbols were used.
This image is a good example
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Marks
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Something I've noticed too.
A couple to add to the collection.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 15:02 GMT (UK) »

I've found instances where people sign their own name on a Marriage Cert, and then make their 'mark', i.e 'X' on their child's Birth Cert. Why would that be, I wonder? I find it puzzling...

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
I get the impression some people practised their signature specifically for the marriage cert, very scrawly & laboured. Probably didn't practise her married name or thought a birth cert. didn't need one so just signed X.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 16:18 GMT (UK) »

I've found instances where people sign their own name on a Marriage Cert, and then make their 'mark', i.e 'X' on their child's Birth Cert. Why would that be, I wonder? I find it puzzling...

Romilly.

There are a number of reasons why literate people use their mark.

Some such as those employed in piece work will use a mark everyday to distinguish their work, it becomes second nature to sign other things with a mark.

Others will use a mark due to the situation they are in. It may be they are in a situation where to show they were literate was to "act above their station in life", in other words signing could bring trouble to their door.

Sometimes a woman would make a mark if her husband was not literate in order not to embarrass him, and vice versa.

In other instances and I have seen this myself in the 1960s if the person in authority tells them to make their mark the people concerned will make a mark.
I witness that at a school in Scotland in the 1960s, all present had full literacy skills many could also read and write French, German and Latin as well as English, yet when told to make their mark on an official form many (roughly one third) made a mark rather than signing their name.

Cheers
Guy

PS some could even spell! (corrected now)
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 February 17 09:34 GMT (UK) »

Many thanks Guy for the explanation. It makes sense to me.

I'm guessing that my ancestor felt intimidated by the Registrar when registering her daughter's birth, - and when asked to 'make her mark', complied, - even though she could write her name perfectly well!

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.