Author Topic: Help with WW2 RAF service record please!  (Read 2389 times)

Offline itsrobert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with WW2 RAF service record please!
« on: Thursday 09 February 17 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have just received my Grandpa's RAF service record. After trying to decipher the jargon using the RAF's helpful terminology guide, I'm still having some difficulty understanding where my Grandpa was posted, his units, movements etc.

Would anyone be willing to take a quick look at the attached photos to help me out please? If you can give me any insight into what it all means, I would be very grateful indeed.

Many thanks!

Rob

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
Re: Help with WW2 RAF service record please!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 February 17 00:34 GMT (UK) »
This link may help you with some of the abbreviations and acronyms:
https://ww2memories.wordpress.com/2011/09/13/common-abbreviations-on-ww2-raf-records-o-p/

RRTB

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 12:06 GMT (UK) »
He was assigned to the Trade Clerk, General Duties.

This equated to a office secretary position dealing with all run of the mill filing and admin duties excluding codes, cypher and confidential signals.

The first unit, No.76 Wing was responsible for all ground radar stations from Isle of Wight to South Wales. It disbanded in June of 1943 but he was part of the general clearance posting before this happened.

With the set up for move into europe admin for UK radar sites was reduced to a small cadre at No.11 Group covering both ground and air radar assets. So he continued doing the same job at Great Malvern that he had done for No.76 Wing.

Another couple of name changes as re-organistion post D Day and VE Day but still on general admin duties.

Possible follow of Control Commission to Germany as medical recat for Europe but the F543 is not clear if he actually went to Germany or provided Uk admin for units in Germany.

Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline itsrobert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 May 17 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ross,

Many thanks for your help with this - I am so sorry it has taken me until May to thank you - for some reason I didn't receive an email to alert me to your post so I've only just discovered it this evening.

Your summary of his career is consistent with what my Mum thought - and we're fairly certain he did actually get posted to Germany.

Many thanks again!

Rob

Offline SeaforthCoombes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 May 17 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ross,

I hope you dont mind me asking,do you have to have the persons service number to apply ?,my Father was in the RAF but i dont know what his service number was.
     Regards
     Gerome.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 May 17 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerome,

A warm welcome to rootschat.

You do not need to have your father's service number but there are various criteria which have to be met when applying including a fee of £30.

Search  www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/overview  and this will explain it all to you. There is also an application form which you can download.

Good luck.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Online medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 May 17 19:10 BST (UK) »
There are references to his fitness he was grade 3 only fit for Western Europe so no hot climates. He went up in rank and A SGT Paid is acting sergeant so he would have the rank and was paid but was not substantive - most would be acting and unpaid - you had the responsibility but not paid for it.  ::)

He was lucky but he could have had the rank taken off him until he was substantive and I assume the money.

Hazard a guess under medical annual filming could be x-rays - did he have chest problems?

Units where he served that's straight forward with Edinburgh, Malvern and West Germany don't know where the squadrons were based though. As he went up in rank his responsibilities would get greater so that maybe why he was posted around. You go where you are needed.

I had 5 postings and 5 detachments (detachments - you are loaned out from your permanent camp for a short period)  in just over 5 years because of job requirements.

Mustering looks like annual assessments he was a very good general clerk that's why he quickly went up in rank.

Hope that helps
 :)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 May 17 19:15 BST (UK) »
Annual filming was of record for archive purposes - not the person.

Not every RAF bod was posted to a squadron - in this case he was posted to a radar/signals Wing HQ so location of squadrons would not help

Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.