Author Topic: Meaning of "Direct Line", please?  (Read 2717 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Meaning of "Direct Line", please?
« on: Friday 10 February 17 03:04 GMT (UK) »
I've been searching for my Stuart ancestors for many years (and I have several threads about them).  :-[  I don't believe I've asked this question before (I can't find a posting about it):
What might "his family is in the direct line of the Scotch Stuarts" mean, please?

The man who the quote references most likely had an Irish-born father and possibly an Irish-born grandfather.  Yet, another reference about him stated "...was born in the north of Ireland, of Scotch parents."   ???

I cannot find my Stuarts in Ireland (no surprise there)  ;) and I'm wondering if there might be a chance that the grandfather may have actually been born in Scotland.

Thank you for any guidance about the quote that you might be able to share, Lisa

Thread about Hamilton Stuart (the father of the man who was referenced above, and [Hamilton was] most likely my ancestor's brother)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=716676.0
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Meaning of "Direct Line", please?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 February 17 05:52 GMT (UK) »
The majority of Scots settlers came to Ireland in the 1600s, either as a part of the Plantation of Ulster or remaining behind from the 10,000 strong Scots army that arrived to quell the 1641 rebellion or in the late 1690s due to famine in Scotland. Some estimates says that 100,000 Scots arrived in the 1600s, representing something like 10% of the entire Scottish population.  A few Scots did arrive in the 1700s but by then they were generally starting to leave Ireland (For the US, Canada, Australia etc) and so the flow was outward rather than inward.

To me the term direct line of the Scotch Stuarts just means the person’s ancestors were Scots who came to Ireland (probably in the 1600s). If he had an obviously Scottish name like Stewart and was either Presbyterian, or at least Protestant, then such a conclusion about his origins wouldn’t be too surprising.  Stewart isn’t a native Irish surname.

Looking at John Grenham’s site, nearly all the Stewarts in Ireland in the mid 1800s were in Ulster, strongly fitting with a Plantation arrival.

https://www.johngrenham.com/surnames/

There were just under 10,000 people named Stewart/Stuart in Ireland in the 1901 census, so quite a common name by then.
Elwyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 February 17 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge.  Sadly, I know very little about Scottish history, so it is very interesting to learn more.

My Stuart ancestor was supposedly born in "Sligo" Ireland and (whom we believe to be) his siblings were supposedly born in Manorhamilton/"Leitrim" Ireland.  I would imagine that my ancestor and his possible family left Ireland to find a better life in Canada.

Thank you for your guidance; it is greatly appreciated.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 February 17 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Quite a lot of Scots settled in Sligo. So that's not surprising information. 2 million people left Ireland in the 1800s, for a better life elsewhere. A well trodden road.
Elwyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 February 17 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Again, I've learned something (Scottish settling in Sligo).

Most of my Irish ancestors settled in Canada around the time of the Great Famine; but, some left Ireland c1830s.  I hope that our ancestors who did chose/were able to relocate did eventually find happiness and didn't miss their homes and extended families too much.   :'(

Thank you again for sharing.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 February 17 10:02 GMT (UK) »
As an example only, the Tithe Applotment Books (c1823-1837) list 6 Stewart 'land occupiers' in Sligo:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jgw/

and 19 Stuart:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jgx/

and 1 Steward

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jgy/

Also, the name Hamilton Stuart appears in Donegal.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 February 17 10:36 GMT (UK) »
To throw in a potential 'red herring' but nonetheless interesting, an Irish paper of 1823, mentions a Rev Hamilton Stuart officiating at a wedding in Buncrana, Donegal.

In 1829, mention of the Rev's 'lady' having had a daughter born  at Buncrana.

Various newspaper mentions of persons having not paid their Tithes to Rev Hamilton Stuart/Stewart.

1842, various mentions of an Alexander George Stuart, Esq., eldest son of the Rev. Hamilton Stuart, of Buncrana, who was apparently a clerk.

Names of Rev Stuarts daughters also appear at various times.

The Rev appears to have died, aged 64, at Bath in May 1850. Various English papers also note his death, but nothing as to why he was in England at that time.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 February 17 11:53 GMT (UK) »
To throw in a potential 'red herring' but nonetheless interesting, an Irish paper of 1823, mentions a Rev Hamilton Stuart officiating at a wedding in Buncrana, Donegal.

In 1829, mention of the Rev's 'lady' having had a daughter born  at Buncrana.

Various newspaper mentions of persons having not paid their Tithes to Rev Hamilton Stuart/Stewart.

1842, various mentions of an Alexander George Stuart, Esq., eldest son of the Rev. Hamilton Stuart, of Buncrana, who was apparently a clerk.

Names of Rev Stuarts daughters also appear at various times.

The Rev appears to have died, aged 64, at Bath in May 1850. Various English papers also note his death, but nothing as to why he was in England at that time.

If he was responsible for tithes, the Rev Hamilton Stuart/Stewart was Church of Ireland. His career should be listed in Crockfords Clerical Directory. Lambeth Palace also keeps records of rectors/Vicars careers.
Elwyn

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 February 17 12:14 GMT (UK) »

What might "his family is in the direct line of the Scotch Stuarts" mean, please?

I read that as a direct line to the Scottish Stewart monarchs.
or am I wrong?
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.