Author Topic: Experience of hiring a researcher, particularly regarding illegitimacy?  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Experience of hiring a researcher, particularly regarding illegitimacy?
« on: Friday 10 February 17 22:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm now considering hiring a researcher to look at an illegitimacy brick wall I have in the Irish side of my family tree. I've just found out there is a slim chance that some bastardy records might survive in the church records regarding this person.

I've already written to one company to ask for a quote, but I'm worried that as this isn't straight forward and that it could be a huge undertaking. I don't have any real understanding of what the records are like and whether I'm asking for a job that is just too big.

I've looked at the list of records available according to the Church of Ireland website, but I'm not sure if my ancestor's records are on the survival list as I'm not sure what parish the place they were born was in. They were born in a little village called Ballylough which is in County Down and they were Church of England as it was then called.

I'm sure if it was an unreasonable request they company in question will tell me to take a hike.

Has anyone got any experience of having done this? Anything I should do or avoid doing?
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Experience of hiring a researcher, particularly regarding illegitimacy?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 17 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Any research in Ireland can be problematical.
If you do retain a researcher, make sure it is someone conversant with the records and near to the place where they have to look at the records. This is because they will (and are entitled to) charge travelling time.
If possible, get others' views on how good these chosen researchers are.
Make sure you give them all the information you already have / think is pertinent.
Make sure you give them a limit of what  you want to spend.  It can get to be very expensive.

Many years ago I commissioned a firm in Ireland to do some research for me.  As they had been advertising in our FHS journal for years, and I had corresponded with them at times (being the editor) I thought they would be OK.  I was shocked to receive a letter, mostly detailing what I had already told them, and listing a lot of 'we could do this' and 'we could do that' - what a waste of nearly 100 pounds!

Have you tried to get an answer to your search, via the many people on RootsChat who could help?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 17 13:25 GMT (UK) »
What date would this record be?

There are several townlands called Ballylough in county down- do you know which one you are looking for?

If you can answer the above questions then it's possible there is another way to check the records you are looking for.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 February 17 13:40 GMT (UK) »
If the above person is the one you are searching for then her birth was registered in Downpatrick district which means the Ballylough in Kilmegan Civil Parish.
https://www.ireland.anglican.org/find-a-church/parish/12460/kilmegan

Can't see anything about bastardy bonds in church records with PRONI but some records might still be in local custody.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/Guide_to_church_records.pdf

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 February 17 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's the one, although I might also try and push back a bit down the line as well.

Thank you very much for working out the parish for me, that is a big help. That narrows it down and it seems there are some records in local custody so I could give those a go, even though I suspect it's a long shot.

Thanks again.  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 February 17 18:26 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth checking local papers in case something was printed. I know of one case where a man was accused of being the father of an illegitimate child and the case went to court- lots of juicy details and witnesses for both sides before he was found 'not guilty.'

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 February 17 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Any research in Ireland can be problematical.
If you do retain a researcher, make sure it is someone conversant with the records and near to the place where they have to look at the records. This is because they will (and are entitled to) charge travelling time.
If possible, get others' views on how good these chosen researchers are.
Make sure you give them all the information you already have / think is pertinent.
Make sure you give them a limit of what  you want to spend.  It can get to be very expensive.

Many years ago I commissioned a firm in Ireland to do some research for me.  As they had been advertising in our FHS journal for years, and I had corresponded with them at times (being the editor) I thought they would be OK.  I was shocked to receive a letter, mostly detailing what I had already told them, and listing a lot of 'we could do this' and 'we could do that' - what a waste of nearly 100 pounds!

Have you tried to get an answer to your search, via the many people on RootsChat who could help?

Dawn M

Hi thanks for this, I somehow overlooked your reply the first time it was posted so I apologise for not replying to you sooner.

Yes Rootschatters have kindly helped me extensively but I think I've come to the end of what online records can do. It's a slim chance I'll find what I'm looking for as I have a feeling it's all been covered up.

Thanks for sharing your experience with researchers, I'll be on my guard.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 February 17 12:15 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth checking local papers in case something was printed. I know of one case where a man was accused of being the father of an illegitimate child and the case went to court- lots of juicy details and witnesses for both sides before he was found 'not guilty.'

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, since you posted that I began delving into the newspapers now but with no luck so far. Found some pretty horrible and sad stories while searching. It's made me realise that my ancestor might have been sent to live with her Mum's relatives to avoid the scrutiny of the authorities and so she didn't have to go onto parish relief which sounds awful. I'm glad she seems to have had a better fate.

While reading the newspapers I've even come across a women who was fined for using bad language in her own home! You learn something everyday.