Author Topic: Protestant/Catholic insight please  (Read 4426 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Protestant/Catholic insight please
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 19:01 GMT (UK) »
I know you don't need it but where it is was bugging me, think it may be the historic parish of Boulick
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,626891,654918,7,7

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 February 17 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Oooh, what a fabulous map! Thank you so much, Sinann, I've been playing with it  :)

I don't think my lot would have been from there, but I have been there. When I was about 15 or so we flew into Shannon and rented a car, and drove all around the south. I have been to Kilkenny, and Limerick, very nearby. I have a lot of lovely memories of green fields and friendly people. We went to Tara, and Bunratty castle, and Blarney. Yes, I kissed the Blarney Stone  ;D

Thanks again,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Online Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Assuming the original births were Protestant (specifically CoI), I would suppose the primary reason was economic, somewhat comparable to how so many converted Islam, after the Islamic conquest.

At the extreme end, (with what level of enforcement I don't know) I believe, at one time, by law, the Catholics were not supposed to even work the land on the larger estates in the Ulster Plantation, let alone own land.  Now, I'm not sure whether this applied to Antrim or not, but perhaps they saw the writing on the wall anyway.

It would have been pretty hard to be a Catholic in Ulster, I think.  Under Cromwell, Catholic churches were destroyed or converted all over Ireland.  Mass was usually held outside and in secret.  They were still hunting priests at least as late as 1700.

I wouldn't suppose that your family would be on the rolls.  I think they involved a bit of travelling, and likely many families converted beforehand.

My understanding is that there was a lot of unofficial discrimination, especially in Ulster, for a long time, even after the Penal Laws were lifted.  Ulster was sort of economically depressed compared to England, and people looked out for their own, in terms of resources, so it isn't inconceivable that an open job would be filled preferentially by a Protestant.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 March 17 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ghostwheel, thank you. I didn't find much on the rolls, no. I suppose we'll never find out, which is a shame because I'm so curious about them  :)

Sorry myluck, I didn't thank you properly for the information you provided. I've read it all again and as an outsider I'm disturbed at the added layer of social and economic pressure the laws forced on little people just trying to cope with life as it was in those times. As if it wasn't tough enough back then.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 March 17 16:29 GMT (UK) »
It wasn't actually as simple as a division between Protestants and Catholics. The Church of Ireland (established or state church) and landlords had quite a bit of control over people and it wasn't just Catholics who were discriminated against.

My local C. of I. collected tithes in their parish (thus allowing other denominations to be buried in their ground) but many, many non-CofI headstones were thrown away and plots re-issued to members of their church.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 March 17 15:40 GMT (UK) »
You. Are. Kidding. Right??  :o

That is unconscionable. Never come across that one, that is filthy and disgusting. They can't even leave the dead in peace??

I know about the other groups, not just Catholic but any group deemed dissenting. My bunch are mostly Presbyterian so they'd be included. But I haven't seen any evidence of discrimination against them because I can't trace any of them back very far. Not enough records...but, you already knew that  :)

Thanks Aghadowey, I'll chew on that. Unbelievable.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Oliverd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 24 June 17 23:43 BST (UK) »

I know about the other groups, not just Catholic but any group deemed dissenting. My bunch are mostly Presbyterian so they'd be included. But I haven't seen any evidence of discrimination against them because I can't trace any of them back very far. Not enough records...but, you already knew that  :)

Up to the 19th Century many of the people whom had left ireland were Presbyterians whom the established church were not in favour of.
It is why Washington had many men from an irish background who were not Catholic during War of Independence in the 1770's.
They opposed the Crown and the United Irishmen were founded by members of the non extablised churches

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 02 July 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hmm, didn't know that. I do know a huge number of Irish arrived in eastern Canada in, probably, the early 1800s. Saint John New Brunswick was crawling with pre-famine Irish and another branch of mine apparently arrived around 1820. They seemed to have been Methodists.

Thanks, Oliverd.
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull