Author Topic: John Stokes Garston Lancashire in 1861  (Read 1660 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Stokes Garston Lancashire in 1861
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 February 17 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Just to confirm - I have spoken to the Stokes family and their roots are Cornwall - but it was an interesting thread for me living in Garston  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Loughr1gg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 February 17 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello!  Thanks very much for clarifying that. I didn't think that that link was correct but it's great to have it cleared up.
Just to confirm that my original request re IOM information has been helped by registering with the IOM government/museum online newspaper database which has given me new information on both The Stokes Pleasure Garden as well as lots of other snippets about my Wilson and Blake relatives on the island.

If you ever want to follow up an IOM connection I would recommend it. Kind regards Neil

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Tillymint74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 April 22 08:28 BST (UK) »
Very interesting for me this - I live in Garston( born and bred and I am now a pensioner ) and my family came here in 1870
my mum worked in a grocer shop in the 1950's when I was a kid .
Stokes was the shop and the owner was Joe Stokes
his daughter Pauline Stokes lived opposite me here in our Grove - sadly she died about 10 years ago.
so
 I am wondering if William  Stokes  came back to Garston ? to my knowledge there has only ever been 1 family named Stokes in Garston - Paulines husband is still alive in his 70's and he lives opposite me - I am going to ask him if Pauline had any connections to the IOM Stokes family ....
ADDED
is any address given in any of the census returns ??

Hi Garstonite
I came across your post quite by chance while trying to look up info about my grandad Joseph Arthur Stokes who owned a grocery shop on St Mary’s Road in Garston. I see you mention your mum worked there and his daughter lives across the road from you??
I’m just wondering, my grandad only had two children Josephine and Marian, so who is Pauline Stokes?
Hope you can help.
Many thanks.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 April 22 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hiya Tillymint - now you have me wondering ?  all this time I have always thought Pauline was Joes daughter - could she have been his niece ?   they always sat together in our club - Pauline married Sammy - can't put his surname as he is still alive - I will see him in ASDA within 2 weeks - we always bump in to each other - and I will ask him whether Joe was Paulines Uncle - ???
I really liked Joe - as I am sure you will know - he was a generous man - my mum had 5 sons and Joe was always on a Saturday telling my mum to take stuff "for the boys" ...a TOP TOP Gentleman ..

I have just looked on Freebmd
Marian was Marian P - did the P stand for Pauline by any chance ?

Offline Tillymint74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 April 22 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
Oh what is Freebmd?
My mum was Marian, her middle name Phillipa...so no, not Pauline.
This has got me so intrigued, Im even wondering if we are talking about the same Joseph Stokes but from what youve said previously we must be.
His name was Joseph Arthur Stokes and he was married to Bessie. They owned a grocers at 98 St Marys Road, inherited from his father, also Joseph Stokes (Married to Mabel Stokes).
Joe and Bessie had 2 children, Josephine born in 1936 and my mum Marian born in 1942.
Josephine emigrated to Canada in the 1950s.  My mum married a Garston man named George Eric Davies but they moved away from Garston and the marriage later ended. 
Sadly my mum passed away last year and my Aunt is no longer with us either.  Times like this I want to pick up the phone to my mum and ask her about this.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 April 22 13:24 BST (UK) »
Yes - that is where my mum worked in the 1950's ..I remember the shop very well ..obviously now I am intrigued about Pauline - did Georgie Davies come back to Garston ?...I knew a Georgie Davies around that age and he died about 8 years ago ?? 

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 April 22 13:47 BST (UK) »
www.freebmd.org.uk

Births Jun 1936   
STOKES    Josephine M    Leadbetter    Liverpool S    8b   146    
Births Dec 1942   
Stokes    Marian P    Leadbetter    Liverpool S.    8b   142
Marriages Mar 1935   
Leadbetter    Bessie    Stokes    Liverpool S.    8b   5    
Stokes    Joseph A    Leadbetter    Liverpool S.    8b   5
Marriages Dec 1962   
DAVIES    George E    STOKES    Birkenhead    10a   99    
STOKES    Marian P    DAVIES    Birkenhead    10a   99

so - George and Marian married in Birkenhead - ?  so George Davies wasn't from Garston ??

Offline Tillymint74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 April 22 13:52 BST (UK) »
Yes - that is where my mum worked in the 1950's ..I remember the shop very well ..obviously now I am intrigued about Pauline - did Georgie Davies come back to Garston ?...I knew a Georgie Davies around that age and he died about 8 years ago ?? 

Please do let me know if you find out how Pauline is connected to the Stokes family. My mum had quite a few cousins from her dads side but I know them all and there is no Pauline.
Re George, he could well have moved back to Garston at some point but I wouldn’t know as he was part of my mums life before I was born. All I know is that he was also from Garston and they married young (think my mum was 16 or 17) and he was a fireman.
It’s a small world to come across someone who’s mum worked in my grandads shop. So nice to know.  I never really knew my grandad as he died when I was very young but I hear a lot of people say what a lovely man he was. I believe he was in the masons in Garston.  We still have a lot of my mums things to go through but I know amongst her things some things from Garston Lodge.