Author Topic: Half siblings help  (Read 1494 times)

Offline rich73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Half siblings help
« on: Thursday 16 February 17 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
my mum only share one parent with her sister (mother) I have receive their test back today
It matches them as 1st cousins and me as 1 to 2 cousin to my aunt bit confused is this right
Thought it would say half sibling

Regards rich

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Half siblings help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 February 17 19:42 GMT (UK) »
What testing service did you use?

I used Ancestry, and my biological father's half-sister came out as a 1st cousin to me with possible range of 1st - 2nd cousins.  My biological father's full brother came out as close family with possible range of Close family - 1st cousins to me.

Offline rich73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 February 17 19:49 GMT (UK) »
What testing service did you use?

I used Ancestry, and my biological father's half-sister came out as a 1st cousin to me with possible range of 1st - 2nd cousins.  My biological father's full brother came out as close family with possible range of Close family - 1st cousins to me.

Yes I used ancestry so same for me
My aunt came up as my 1st - 2nd cousin

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 February 17 23:56 GMT (UK) »
It matches them as 1st cousins and me as 1 to 2 cousin to my aunt bit confused is this right

The reported relationships are only estimates based on the amount of shared DNA and then slotted into very broad categories.  Ancestry don't have a category for every possible relationship and can't know what the actual relationship is, so look at it as a very broad "guide".

If you have a look at the table here: http://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_statistics you will see that the expected amount of DNA can be the same for several different relationships.  For example, the expected shared amount is the same for first cousins, great-grandparent/great-grandchild, great-uncle or aunt/great-nephew or niece, half-uncle or aunt/half-nephew or niece.  And these are just the expected amounts - the actual amount will vary which might result in the match being put in to a lower or higher category than expected.

Placing your half-aunt in the estimated "1st to 2nd Cousin" range is pretty much what you would expect to see.