Author Topic: Wedding in Edinburgh  (Read 716 times)

Offline meggy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wedding in Edinburgh
« on: Sunday 19 February 17 13:59 GMT (UK) »
On my grandparents wedding certificate, it states that they were married "according to the forms of United Free Church of Sotland" at 18 Bonaly Road in 1927. The record also states that the bride's usual residence was this address also. Does any one know if this was common practice?

Thanks for any input!
Stanners, Bell, Ramsay, Kerr, Scougall, Gibb, Archibald, Todd, Laird Johnston, Cosgrove, Robertson.

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding in Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 February 17 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meggy:
Yes: it was quite common for a marriage to take place at the home of the bride. By the way, my grandmother lived at 78 Bonaly Road and I can tell you that this street is now known as Harrison Gardens, in case you try to find it on a map. (The house numbers stayed the same.)
Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline meggy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 February 17 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Ah, thanks Ian! I'll have a look on the map under Harrison Gardens. According to the valuation Rolls, my great grandfather is listed as a tennant. It's puzzling me a bit, as Granny never mentioned living there. However, the marriage didn't last, so maybe that's why!

Meggy

Stanners, Bell, Ramsay, Kerr, Scougall, Gibb, Archibald, Todd, Laird Johnston, Cosgrove, Robertson.

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 February 17 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Meggy:  If you  "Google" 18 Harrison Gardens Edinburgh, you will probably get a map and a Street View, which will give you an idea of what these houses/tenements look like.
Ian
Beautiful park across the road, with tennis courts, and a short walk to the canal (strong attraction for a boy)
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline meggy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 February 17 15:23 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look Ian. I can now place where it is - I moved away from Edinburgh many years ago and the memory is not what it was!