Author Topic: St. John, New Brunswick 1840s newspapers or other records, please?  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
St. John, New Brunswick 1840s newspapers or other records, please?
« on: Monday 20 February 17 00:33 GMT (UK) »
I'm back to researching my Stuart ancestors.  Supposedly, they were in St. John, New Brunswick during the 1840s.  They may have sailed from Ireland to North America c1842.  They eventually settled in Ontario, Canada c1849 (thanks to help from others, I have a great deal of information about the family after 1850).

I am wondering, please, if anyone might know of any online records (city directories, newspapers, etc.) for the 1840s for St. John?  Thank you in advance for any guidance.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
Re: St. John, New Brunswick 1840s newspapers or other records, please?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 February 17 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa:

I wonder if you could get any suggestions for 1840's St. John from this researcher. Might not hurt to submit a query to her:

http://www.rubycusack.com

......and if you haven't already done so, you could try the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick:

http://archives.gnb.ca/Archives/default.aspx?culture=en-CA

sami

England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 February 17 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi sami:

I will definitely check out the first link and I've already started to search the provincial link.  I thought my ancestors' time frame might be prior to New Brunswick provincial records, but they do have records that could help with my search.  Thank you very much for providing the links!   :)

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 March 17 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Were you able to find info on your Stuart family in Saint John?
Kelly, Weatherhead, Wagner, Russell, Smiles (Smailes)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 March 17 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi tamarakel:

Thank you for your interest in this thread.  While I did check the Provincial Archives, I have so far not found any leads.  I have not yet contacted the researcher sami so kindly suggested.  I have been extremely busy at work and temporarily stopped researching my family (I"m too tired when I get home).  :-[

I would very much like to learn more about the Stuarts (prior to 1850).  There are other threads on RootsChat about my Stuarts and Fowley (Fowley married a Stuart) - we've not yet found records of their time in St. John other than a notation that one (two?) girls were born in St. John.  (Information obtained from a death certificate, I believe.)  Thank you again for your interest.  :)

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 March 17 13:01 GMT (UK) »
The Great Fire of 1877 may have destroyed some of the records you are looking for- apparently 8 churches and most public buildings were destroyed.
http://website.nbm-mnb.ca/CAIN/english/sj_fire/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 March 17 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi aghadowey:

Now that you mention the fire, I do remember reading about it (many years ago).  Never needing to research in New Brunswick before, I didn't think about the possibility of records being lost.  Thank you for providing the link; it was very interesting (and sad) reading about the event. 

Since I cannot find my Stuarts/Fowley in Ireland (no surprise there)  ;) , I was hoping that a lead might pop up in New Brunswick.

Thank you for your interest.  Lisa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 March 17 19:06 GMT (UK) »
I've sent an email to the researcher that sami suggested.  I will share any results that I may receive. 

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 March 17 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hope you get some results  :)

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley