Author Topic: 3rd M.E. Regiment - Commander's Name & Ship's Passengers?  (Read 307 times)

Offline nat11911

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
3rd M.E. Regiment - Commander's Name & Ship's Passengers?
« on: Monday 20 February 17 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi fellow researchers.

1) I have a letter dated May 1860 from James Murdoch/k in the 3rd Madras European Regiment (India), but I cannot make out the Commanding officer's name signed at bottom-left. A scan of the address-panel is attached if anyone can decipher it please.

2) In the letter the writer mentions that the recipient's son (or brother) William Scott recently returned to England on one of two ships - the Great Tasmanian or the Conflict, and I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can see passenger lists to establish which ship he was actually on. The 'Great Tasmanian affair' was well-documented at the time due to the high number of deaths resulting from 'poor food-management', I want to try and discover if he survived the journey or was amongst those who died, or was actually on the other ship (both were carrying many 3rd M.E. Regiment personnel).

Many thanks for your help. :)

Chris

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd M.E. Regiment - Commander's Name & Ship's Passengers?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 February 17 14:13 GMT (UK) »
There is a mention in newspaper 1874 regarding the promotion of a Major General  Richard Shubrick of the Madras Infantry.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline nat11911

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd M.E. Regiment - Commander's Name & Ship's Passengers?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 February 17 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Ah - Richard Shubrick ('wood for the trees' and all that - I kept thinking 'Swarbrick')

Thanks very much for that Cathy. You're a star.