Author Topic: Where is this? #20 Seaside and pier  (Read 2076 times)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this? #20 Seaside and pier
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Taken from an elevated position on the lower slopes of Boniface Down? . If Ventnor this would be along the road where the railway station used to be, Ocean View Road I think.
The street pattern from the sea front upper level, looks about right for Pier Street and then turning west and up past the church. And the four/five storey houses to the left of Pier Street and facing the sea on the cliff top. The road down to the sea front and lower esplanade is obscured, but it is quite a steep one.
However may just be my imagination and not Ventnor at all.  But..................................
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Britain From Above has quite a few photos of Ventnor, but again I couldn't find any looking out to sea. These two are looking across the pier and town in the other direction, if anyone wants to try to compare...

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw032286
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw022208
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

Definately not Eastbourne or either of the Brighton piers. I don't think it's Hastings either, the buildings don't look right from my memories of it.

If the photo was taken late afternoon then it could be Ventnor. That would be St Catherines parish church which is aligned SW to NE. The photo would be taken looking almost due south.

There seems to be be 100s of photos of it online but none from that area. Now uncheckable as the pier no longer exists looking on satelite view.

Going off to check on other piers east and south coasts.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 21:43 GMT (UK) »
The pier view is also foreshortened due to the steep approach to the lower esplanade.
Looking at 032286 the large houses on the top of the cliff would correspond to those shown to the right hand side of the pier. Looking back then towards the town you can see the church and tower in relatively the same position on the original photo. There is also the large open space behind those cliff top houses going back towards the church, and which can be seen on the original albeit from a different angle.
More convinced now that it is Ventnor.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nat11911

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Here's a view of Ventnor Pier from the sea... the row of 3 or 4 3-storey buildings on the right look pretty similar to those on the left in the photo...

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 23:56 GMT (UK) »
From what others have already posted, found this in Google maps

Distinctive roofs on the houses in foreground match those set behind the houses on Mitchell Ave, and lane leading to second from right. Also small cottage to the right on the bowling green

M

Add: flight over Ventnor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCs6wO-CYAE

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 February 17 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Here's a photo taken from Ventnor Pier (quite a short one) in Ventnor, Philip Island, Victoria, Australia

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 February 17 09:46 GMT (UK) »
I think you might have it, RadstockJeff!  Ventnor pier certainly looks to be the right shape, and I can see the layout of the town working with the photo.  Hopefully attached to this message is the photo of the hotel - I am making the assumption that this is from the same place because it has the same processing number stamped on the back.