Author Topic: Newspaper lookup for Maurice O'Leary in New Hampshire  (Read 620 times)

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Newspaper lookup for Maurice O'Leary in New Hampshire
« on: Wednesday 22 February 17 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Maurice O'Leary died 4 Aug 1940 in Portsmouth, Rockingham, New Hampshire. Maurice was born in Ireland and I am 99% certain he is a brother to my great great grandmother. I am hoping that the obit might shed a bit more light on him.

He has a son Maurice who is mentioned in the Portsmouth Herald newspaper dated 24 Sep 1940 which might concern his father too.

Maurice Junior died 30 Sep 1960 in Sprinfield, Windsor Vermont and has an obit which was published 4 Oct 1960 in the Portsmouth Herald. If anyone could help with that too please.

And finally.....
Maurice seniors wife was Margaret Shea and she died 25 Apr 1925 and I would also be grateful for a look up in the papers there too. She died in Portsmouth, Rockingham, New Hampshire.

Thanks for reading

Anjo

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper lookup for Maurice O'Leary in New Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 18:08 GMT (UK) »
The obit for the elder Maurice says he was born Killarney, Ireland to Michael and Johanna (Welch) O'Leary.  Among the survivors were 2 brothers, Patrick O'Leary of Hoboken, New Jersey, and John O'Leary of Ireland.  Does that sound like the right family?

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 18:12 GMT (UK) »
It appears that Margaret died 1927, not 1925 - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FSVD-4SC

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Yes this is coming together nicely. I knew a lot of the O'Leary clan left for america but never knew who. Maurice seniors parents were indeed Michael O'Leary and Johanna Walsh. The Irish pronounce Walsh as Welch so can understand how its written like that.

Yes he had brothers Patrick and John both of whom I thought were in America but obviously not. My great great grandmother was still alive when he died and had hoped she got a mention but obviously not. Will go and chase Patrick and John and see what else I can find.

and yes my mistake Margaret O'Leary nee Shea did die in 1927 that was my typo. Humble apologies. I was hoping if there was an obit for her it might list mourners at her funeral.

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble for me its sooooooooo gratefully recieved

All the best Anjo

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 19:29 GMT (UK) »
I found the obituaries for Margaret and the younger Maurice.  If you want me to send you a copy of all the obits, send me your e-mail address in a PM.

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 19:43 GMT (UK) »
 ;D thanks again

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to the marvelous Shellyesq I now have the info and confirmation that I needed.

Shellyesq is the best x

;D