Author Topic: Bastardy Records  (Read 1171 times)

Offline ang1985

• RootsChat Member
  • Picture of my lovely Grandparents RIP
    • View Profile
Bastardy Records
« on: Wednesday 22 February 17 21:15 GMT (UK) »
I was randomly searching through the British Newspaper Archive searching for names off my family tree when I came across an article featuring my Great x 3 grandmother Elizabeth Page... I was quite surprised to read that she had managed to get a warrant issued against a man for non payment of arrears of bastardy in 1848, at this time she was already married to my Great x 3 Grandfather... All the children I have listed for her were born after she married my Great x 3 Grandfather. I did think of the possibility that the article could be in reference to a different Elizabeth Page however this not very likely as Great Shelford is a village and I cannot imagine more than one Elizabeth Page living there at the same time. My question is would this have been a claim for a child of her own or could she have been helping a relative? If it is a child of her own.. I have heard of Bastardy records, I was just wondering where to find them if they indeed do exist.. Would they be in Cambridge where she lived or in Suffolk where the accused lived?
BARGAS  Berkshire & Oxfordshire |variant of Barguss
BARGUS Berkshire  & Oxfordshire |variant of Barguss
BARGUSS | Berkshire & Oxfordshire
BOWMAN England | Wiltshire
BULLOCK England | Norfolk | Banningham
BURGESS England | Norfolk | Reedham
DOUGHTY England | Norfolk | North Walsham
WRIGHT (England | Norfolk | North Walsham
HUDSON (England | Norfolk | Banningham/Swanton
Abbott/Knapton/Edingthorpe)
OLLEY England | Norfolk | Skeyton and Banningham 
PAGE England | Cambridge | Edgefield, Norfolk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bastardy Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 21:20 GMT (UK) »
The child of a married woman can not be illegitimate, the father is always presumed to be the husband, even if he is not.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 17 09:43 GMT (UK) »
There is more than one Elizabeth Page in Great Shelford.
The 1851 census has Robert and Elizabeth Page both aged 68, with an unmarried daughter Elizabeth  aged 24 living with them plus grandchildren Elizabeth age 10 and James age 2. 

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 17 10:43 GMT (UK) »
The child of a married woman can not be illegitimate, the father is always presumed to be the husband, even if he is not.
Stan

Not correct, you are correct in saying "the father is always presumed to be the husband" for children born within the couple's marriage but not that "The child of a married woman can not be illegitimate".

Where it can be shown the husband did not "have access" to his wife during the relevant period (for instance he was overseas) or if he can show he was sterile etc then the resultant children were in law bastards.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 17 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Of course in those rare examples that is correct, but generally what I said is true. There are always exceptions.

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 17 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Another type of illegitimacy that is very difficult to prove is when a married woman has a child by a man other than her husband. The law assumes that a child is the legitimate issue of a husband if the husband and wife are living together. (If he has been off to war for two years, that is another story.) http://www.genealogy.com/articles/research/52_donna.html

There was a common-law presumption that a child born of a married woman was legitimate. This presumption was rebuttable, however, upon proof that her husband either was physically incapable of impregnating her or was absent at the time of conception.
Stan

Offline ang1985

• RootsChat Member
  • Picture of my lovely Grandparents RIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 February 17 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all your help with this one, this newspaper article appears to have opened a huge can of worms for me, the discovery of the 1851 census entry mentioned above is very helpful and has made me re-evaluate a section of my tree where I think I may have made a mistake. A little bit more investigation is required I think. Thanks again!
BARGAS  Berkshire & Oxfordshire |variant of Barguss
BARGUS Berkshire  & Oxfordshire |variant of Barguss
BARGUSS | Berkshire & Oxfordshire
BOWMAN England | Wiltshire
BULLOCK England | Norfolk | Banningham
BURGESS England | Norfolk | Reedham
DOUGHTY England | Norfolk | North Walsham
WRIGHT (England | Norfolk | North Walsham
HUDSON (England | Norfolk | Banningham/Swanton
Abbott/Knapton/Edingthorpe)
OLLEY England | Norfolk | Skeyton and Banningham 
PAGE England | Cambridge | Edgefield, Norfolk