Author Topic: 1871 lookup please  (Read 4284 times)

Offline roymck

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1871 lookup please
« on: Thursday 23 February 17 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Believe Carl Lobeck lived in Swanpool st Falmouth in 1871 but  cannot find a street number . I found him listed in 1875 at 10 Wodehouse Terrace Falmouth , that I think is a house . Was Swanpool st a Shop if so can we find a street number ?

Thanks Roy

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 17 09:51 GMT (UK) »
From FamilySearch (a transcript):

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFJD-DPT

Swanpool is the name of a saline lagoon and beach near Falmouth.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swanpool,_Cornwall

There are houses around; probably the hamlet was named Swanpool, too.
House numbers weren't important in the 1800s - especially in the countryside!
Everyone knew everyone - so why did they need a house number?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 17 09:59 GMT (UK) »
I found this on a website on Swanpool (http://swanpool.org.uk/swanpoolarticle.html):

Industry became prevalent in the area from the end of the 18th century.  In 1790 Swanpool mine began to expand its operations on the western side of the lake and even mined the lode underneath the lake.  Sediment cores taken from beneath the lake have identified the change in sediment types which occurred in association with mining at this time.

Further industrial development took place in 1852 when a lead mine was opened behind the beach and a tunnel was cut to Pennance Point where the fumes were released through a large chimney stack.  Pennance Point is still referred to today as ‘The Stack’.  Apart from finding lead and silver the mine, known rather ominously as Wheal Swamp-All, also produced arsenic as a by-product.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 17 10:41 GMT (UK) »
there are no street numbers for Swanpool St on 1871 census - very often houses weren't given numbers -there is no indication that it is a shop or that there are shops on the Street.
1872/3 a directory lists  Levi van Bosch and Carl Lobeck as ship's chandlers at 40 Arwenack St and in 1871 Levi van Bosch 43 Ship Chandler ,wife Helena and son Meyer were at this address - no indication of this being a shop but looking at the property present day it looks much more likely to have been a shop in earlier year (my opinion)
1872 Carl Lobeck at his naturalisation gives his address as Falmouth Cornwall -no street given - he also signs his name as Karl Ernst August Lobeck
By 1881 Carl and family are at 40 Arawenack St
so was Karl in partnership with Levi van Bosch in 1871 and he moved into 40 Arwenack St after Levi left the area.
I haven't found Levi in 1881  but there is his death and probate record in Nov 1885 in Middlesex

May be worth checking out??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roymck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 February 17 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all , my son is going to Falmouth so he said he would look up the addresses and take a photo if the properties are still there . Karl Lobeck was in business with Levi van Bosch for a short while. Karl was a ships chandler and a provision merchant. We think karl invested heavily in tin mines in Cornwall as in the London Gazette in 1875 he was declared bankrupt by Levi van Bosch as himself being the main creditor .

Offline roymck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Well problem solved , 40 Arwenack st was the shop he had, Swanpool st is the entrance to the flat above the shop so it's the same property.

Thanks All