Author Topic: Tracing my Grandfather's RAF records  (Read 644 times)

Offline WolfMama

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing my Grandfather's RAF records
« on: Thursday 23 February 17 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for any information on my Grandfather who enlisted at Cardington in 1941. His name was David Bernard Colebrooke, service number 1622069. He was a bomb aimer. I don't have any further information and I am looking to find an squadrons he may have been part of or any missions he flew in.
I have lots of photos and personal diaries that have been passed to me and I would love to know more about the man I never got to know well enough! He passed away in 1994 and never spoke of him time in the RAF

If anyone could advice me on where to look or what to search for I would be very grateful

Thankyou

WolfMama

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing my Grandfather's RAF records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

You may find this link useful

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing my Grandfather's RAF records
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 February 17 20:00 GMT (UK) »
I just tried to see if I could find anything to do with 593 (4a) but sadly I have come up a blank too.

Perhaps there could be some "hidden" information contained in those personal diaries which might also help to direct your investigations? He wouldn't probably have been allowed to put precise info into them but there could be some clues.

If you were to post up some of the pictures for us to look at, they might possibly also hide some information as well, especially if aircraft were in them.

RRTB