Author Topic: GRAHAMS. 1809 - 1909 Bothel/Hensingham area Cumberland. Help please  (Read 1983 times)

Offline CaroSG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GRAHAMS. 1809 - 1909 Bothel/Hensingham area Cumberland. Help please
« on: Thursday 23 February 17 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello, and I do hope someone can help me with my search.  I live in South Africa and am researching my husband's family.  Way back they were from Cumberland, mainly Bothel/Hensingham area.  I have a world sub to Ancestry and have gleaned all I can get from there and from Familysearch.  I have a bit of difficulty trying to figure out parishes etc on the census and tie them up with registration areas on BMD.

My main aim here below is to trace the births of William GRAHAM b. about 1841, George GRAHAM b. about 1878 and of William George GRAHAM b. 8 April 1906 in Cumberland (or could it possibly be in SA)? and send for their birth certificates.

First a few facts to set the scene...
THOMAS GRAHAM born. Isle of Man abt 1809 d. abt 1883/1887 (can't find birth - why not?)
m. possibly to Sarah BRACELIN/BRACELINE b. 1809 d 1891 on 9 July 1831, Aspartia, Cumberland (my supposition as the only close fit )
             John -  b.approx 1831, Bothel, Cumberland.
             Thomas -  b.approx 1835 Bothel, Cumberland
             Sarah -  bapt. 13 Aug 1837, Bothel, Cumberland
             WILLIAM -  b. abt 1841.  Bapt. 7 March 1841 • (Prob St Michael & All Angels) Parish 
                      Torpenhow, Cumberland. (SEE below)
             Jane -  b. abt 1843.  Bapt. 13 August 1843 • Parish Torpenhow, Cumberland.
             Mary -  b. abt 1846, Bothel, Cumberland.
             George  - b.abt 1848, Bothel Cumberland.  Bapt. 25 Dec 1848 • Parish Torpenhow,
                 Cumberland.
             Margaret -  b.? 2 Nov 1852 • Bothel, Wigton Registration .  Bapt. 3 Sept 1854 • Parish
                 Torpenhow, Cumberland.

WILLIAM  b.1841
Born abt 1841 (1841 census 4 months old) 
Bapt. 7 March 1841 (Familysearch) (Prob St Michael & All Angels) Parish Torpenhow, Cumberland. Father: Thomas, Mother: Sarah (Familysearch).  Seems to be correct record
I will send for his birth certificate, the only birth that seems likely - Cockermouth reg. district birth– hopefully Mar Q 1841 Vol 25 P.111.
m. Ann FOX Dec Q 1867 • Whitehaven Reg District, Cumberland
   William bapt 13 Feb 1870, Hensingham
   Thomas b. abt 1873, Hensingham. (went to Canada)
   John b. abt 1875, Hensingham.
   GEORGE b. abt Jul Aug 1878.     Died 6 April 1935 South Africa.   (SEE BELOW)
   Mary Ann b.abt 1885, Frizington.
   + 3 others died prob before registered? (1911 census of mother says 8 children)

GEORGE (I need his birth certificate but must find better proof of birth area and date)
b. abt Jul Aug 1878 acc to my calcs from his death certificate. (Where? 1881/91/1901 census says Cleator Moor which is 2 miles from Frizington.) His death certificate says born in Frizington, Cumberland.   There are loads of George GRAHAMs on freeBMD for 1877 and 1878.
married Mary Barr (TAIT) Sep q 1902 • Cockermouth, Cumberland.  Death certificate says married in Workington.
Emigrated to SA really guessing abt 1909??? (can only find a passage for his wife and children in 1909)
Died 6 April 1935 South Africa.  I have his death certificate where it gives age 56y 8m.

Wife Mary Barr (TAIT) Graham left from London, England, 20 Jul 1909 for S Africa on SS Geelong as per passenger list.
She is Married aged 36, With 3 Children on passenger list as follows:

Mary Ann aged 4, (prob. born abt 1904/5? )
             WILLIAM GEORGE aged 3 born 8 April 1906 in S Africa  according  to his death cert.
             Gertrude Sutton  aged 1, (prob. b about 1907/8?)

I am looking for evidence of birth in UK parish registers for the following Father, Son and Grandson described more detailed above.
           WILLIAM -  b. abt 1841 (I want to order his birth certificate)
           GEORGE b.abt Jul Aug 1878. (I want to order his birth certificate)
           WILLIAM GEORGE, b 8 April 1906. (I want to order his birth certificate)

I can't find any of the 3 children, Mary Ann, William George, and Gertrude Sutton on Free BMD or Familysearch.  Does this mean they were born in South Africa where records are usually difficult to find and I have found no records on NAAIRS or Familysearch, and that Mary must have returned to UK for a visit with those 3 small children and they were not in fact born in UK?

For WILLIAM GEORGE to be 3 years old on 20 July 1909 passenger record to SA he must be born between 20 July 1905 and 19 Jul 1906. (His death certificate says born in South Africa so am I clutching at straws here?)  There is NO birth registration on Free BMD for a William George, or a George for the year 1906 in Cumberland.  There are 6 George Graham registered in 1906 but none in June Q 1906.

One more thing:  On the passenger list there is a summing up of the nationalities of the people on board.  Out of 200 passengers on way to Australia and South Africa, only 1 adult single male is written as being born in British Colonies or possessions.  I am not sure if this has a bearing on the above, because maybe some born in SA (possibly these 3 children) and termed English.

I really would appreciate a second knowledgeable eye on the above facts as I seem to be getting nowhere with these GRAHAMS :-) and if someone has access to parish records that would be great.   

Regards
Caroline (Willsmer) Graham

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GRAHAMS. 1809 - 1909 Bothel/Hensingham area Cumberland. Help please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 17 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Bothel and Threapland was a township in the parish of Torpenhow.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/CUL/Torpenhow

Torpenhow parish was a constituent of Wigton Registration District.
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/wigton.html

Using FreeBMD (.org.uk) there are a number of George Grahams born 1878 +/- 2 years.

March qtr 1877
Wigton Registration District     vol 10b, page 551
Graham, George

6 births in 1878 to choose from! Whitehaven, Carlisle & Cockermouth Registration Districts.

There's a 1906 William Graham birth in Wigton RD?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 17 21:04 GMT (UK) »
There is a christening in St Georges, Douglas, Isle of Man that may fit?

7th May 1802
Thomas Graham, son of Jacob & Helena (Crellin)

It's on FamilySearch, but you must remember to select Isle of Man for the country and NOT England!
As a Manx resident of some 23 years, I can tell you that the IoM has never been a part of England or the United Kingdom! ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 17 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There is a George Graham registered in Whitehaven in the sept quarter of 1878 mothers maiden name Fox  GRO ref vol 10b page 661

William mmn Fox reg Whitehaven march 1870 GRO ref 10b 569

Thomas mmn Fox Whitehaven Sept 1872 GRO ref 10b 591

John mmn Fox Whitehaven Dec 1875 GRO ref 10b 624

Joseph 1881 died 1882?

Mary ann Whitehaven Sep 1884 GRO ref 10b 627

I think that if George was born in Cleator Moor the registration district would be Whitehaven

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroSG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 February 17 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you KGarrad for this information.  There are so many George Grahams, it's a bit of a problem.  I can't order a certificate for each of them or any of them without being absolutely sure (our exchange rate is very bad and a certificate is really expensive), and William George's siblings don't seem to be visible anywhere to corroborate which would be a great help.  All three of them died in SA.

I am interested in Thomas Graham born Isle of Man 1802 and I did look at that, but all the census records point to his year of birth being exactly 1809. Apart from Familysearch there are really good Isle of Man records on the Net, but nothing for a Thomas that I could find.

Interesting that you state it is not part of England, because I actually did know that - oddly enough. 
:-)

Offline CaroSG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 17 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gan Yam.  That is exactly the family I was looking for to order William GRAHAM and Ann (Fox) GRAHAM's son, George Graham's birth certificate (born 1878).  All the info you supplied matches up to his siblings.  That's a great help.

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 February 17 23:38 GMT (UK) »
 There is a William Graham registered in Cockermouth in March 1841 mmn Braclin ref vol 25 page 111

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 February 17 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: KGarrad link=topic=765960.msg6178752#msg6178752 date=1487883431

There's a 1906 William Graham birth in Wigton RD?
[/quote

Mothers mmn for this birth is messenger

Mary Ann Graham Whitehaven June 1903 mmn Tait

There is George Graham mmn Tait in Whitehaven in March 1908 10b 743 it's a bit late but maybe a possibility? Could he have been 13months rather than 3 years
Amended:
This may not be them as there is also a James born in 1911 but they would have left U.K. By then

Offline CaroSG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 February 17 14:01 GMT (UK) »
There is a William Graham registered in Cockermouth in March 1841 mmn Braclin ref vol 25 page 111

Oh is there?  How fantastic.  I thought it may be the one I am after, and if you can see the mother is Braclin (Bracelin) then we are on a good track.  Many thanks.