Author Topic: Where is/was Spittal?  (Read 2590 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Re: Where is/was Spittal?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 February 17 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. That does seem to be the simplest solution.
Second that its not nice when on holiday and someone will say  to you Oh your a Geordie I always say no a Northumbrian as I am born 15 miles from Spittal my folks are from there  ::)

I too always enter Spittal as Northumberland but the modern post code is TD
This covers Duns and Eyemouth too
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 February 17 00:09 GMT (UK) »
I don't bother with the Tyne and Wear metropolitan county name either. 
Janis
Tyne & Wear has not been mentioned in this topic and is totally irrelevant to the question of Spittal.  That's surprising as the question was about Durham vs Northumberland, but Spittal is in modern terms part of Berwick on Tweed, indisputably Northumberland and as far as you can get in that county from the Tyne or the Wear.

John (one of my distant Rutter relations became the first vicar of Spittal)
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 February 17 01:08 GMT (UK) »
I don't bother with the Tyne and Wear metropolitan county name either. 
Janis
Tyne & Wear has not been mentioned in this topic and is totally irrelevant to the question of Spittal. 

Hi John,

I think 2zpool was only using this as a ref. to the name changes for areas in Northumberland.

I have ancestors b N/C upon Tyne which was Northumberland but now it's under Tyne and Wear which I don't use either as my connections were prior to the goal posts being moved  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 February 17 03:38 GMT (UK) »
I reluctantly use Tyne and Wear. I may have an ancestor born in Gateshead, County Durham, 1900
Married in Gateshead, County Durham, 1923
Died in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, 1990.

I do not like it but there it is.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 February 17 04:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barry,

This is what Forfarian was implying with "I don't do the post-1975 'counties" as the rest of us (unless the era is correct for the area name on death) then I would state that in the 'where died' category but going backwards I stick with NBL for that era.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 February 17 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Tyne and Wear Metropolitan County is a Modern (post 1974) administrative County, however the Tyne and Wear Metropolitan County Council was abolished in 1986 but the county area is still recognised, especially for statistical purposes. Because the names and areas of the historic Counties stay fixed throughout the frequent changes to those of local government units they provide a fixed and widely understood geographical reference frame. People engaged in genealogy, family history, and local history tend to follow the names used at the time being researched. It is worth noting that on 1st April 1974, a DoE spokesman said: "The new county boundaries are solely for the purpose of defining areas of ... local government. They are administrative areas, and will not alter the traditional boundaries of Counties"

See Notes for Historians and Genealogists http://gazetteer.org.uk/notes.php

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 February 17 08:51 GMT (UK) »
This is what Forfarian was implying with "I don't do the post-1975 'counties" as the rest of us (unless the era is correct for the area name on death) then I would state that in the 'where died' category but going backwards I stick with NBL for that era.
No. I simply ignore the post-1975 boundaries altogether.

If I have someone who died, let's say, in Banff after 1975, I would still record the death as having taken place in Banffshire, even though there is no longer an administrative entity called Banffshire. And Dundee is in the county of Angus. Similarly, if I had someone who died in Gateshead after 1975, I would record it as County Durham, because that is the historic ('real') county.

"The new county boundaries are solely for the purpose of defining areas of ... local government. They are administrative areas, and will not alter the traditional boundaries of Counties"
Aye, well, that is obviously true because you can't alter boundaries retrospectively. Nothing like stating the obvious :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.