Author Topic: Walter Underwood b.1868 East Hendred  (Read 1809 times)

Offline Kook

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Underwood b.1868 East Hendred
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 February 17 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ribbo. I've been searching most of the day. I've struggled to find any christenings yet. I have found that Walter Wests wife Ann (nee Ashton) appears to be living back at home on the 1891 census. She states she is married and also has a son listed - Henry West. Of course, theres always the chance that she was just visiting her parents that day. I need to try and find Walter West on the 1891 census. If hes not listed anywhere, either he has separated from his wife Ann or has passed away. If this is the same man that is my gt gt grandfather Walter Underwood but using a different surname, that will explain why I cant find him before then (as an Underwood). I have checked his marriage details to my gt gt grandmother. He definitely states his father is William Underwood. Its one big mystery!
Underwood - Berkshire. Barton - Lancashire. Laister - Lincolnshire & Nottingham. Couch - Devon. West - Berkshire. Siddall - Derbyshire. Marples - Derbyshire. Broadbelt - West Yorkshire. Holdsworth - West Yorkshire

Offline Kook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 February 17 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Ribbo. After looking through the information I have, I came up with more or less the same names as you. It's so confusing. I'm not sure what to make of it all. I think I need to order my gt gt grandfather Walter Underwoods marriage certificate. I know it will definitely say his father is William Underwood. It's been transcribed online. If he is 'William West' using a different name later in life, why do you think he might do that? i really appreciate you all trying to untangle all of this. I have tried to find my gt gt grandfather for the past few years. There are quite a few others online searching him too, that can't find any more information about him either. Its very frustrating. I even have his photograph but know very little about him. Thank you again! :)
Underwood - Berkshire. Barton - Lancashire. Laister - Lincolnshire & Nottingham. Couch - Devon. West - Berkshire. Siddall - Derbyshire. Marples - Derbyshire. Broadbelt - West Yorkshire. Holdsworth - West Yorkshire

Offline Kook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 March 17 13:56 GMT (UK) »
UPDATE - I have looked into the West family. Walter West vanished around the same time Walter Underwood (my gt gt grandfather) turned up in Barnsley. Both Walters have fathers called William and they are both Agricultural labourers. Both Walters are born in East Hendred. I have come across some photos of the West family. The West boys look strikingly like my gt gt grandfather.
If these Walters are the same person, it would seem that he left his wife Ann West (nee Ashton) and his very young son Henry West to start a new life in Barnsley, using the name Underwood. I cannot find a divorce at all. My gt gt grandmother, Martha Alice Laister died and Walter 'Underwood' married his housekeeper a lot later on and had children with her.
So, it very much looks like my gt gt grandfather was a naughty boy!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 March 17 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes it does ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Kook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 March 17 14:34 GMT (UK) »
I have read a lot about people leaving their marriages and re-marrying without divorcing first. Seems it was quite common back then, due to the cost of divorce. It wasn't always granted either. I keep looking at my gt gt grandfathers photo and comparing it to the West siblings. They look so alike! Same eyes, chins and noses. Its strange to see lol. I keep wondering if he ever told any of his family about what he was going to do and if he kept in touch with them. Nobody in our family knew anything about this. My gt grandmother even had his 'Underwood' surname lol.
I'd like to thank each person that helped me get to the bottom of this!

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 March 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Ann West says she's married in 1901 as well.

Intriguingly there is a Joseph Ashton West b Leigh Dec Q 1891, mmn Ashton. he dies in 1894. his baptism on 15 Nov 1891 lists his father as Walter, and the address is the same street as for Henry's

Offline Kook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 March 17 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Thank you! I have just found Joseph but its showing mothers name as a blank. Ill see if I can find another source.

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 March 17 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Thank you! I have just found Joseph but its showing mothers name as a blank. Ill see if I can find another source.

GRO index

WEST, JOSEPH  ASHTON  Mmn Ashton
GRO Reference: 1891  D Quarter in LEIGH  Volume 08C  Page 329

Cas

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Kook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 March 17 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! I found the birth. Strangely, in 1891 I have Ann living at home, with her parents but without Walter and also without Joseph! As Josephs birth was registered in Dec, he should have appeared on the census. I'm even more confused now lol