Author Topic: Heir Hunters TV series  (Read 10405 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Heir Hunters TV series
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 15:50 GMT (UK) »

I was interested in this one because of the 'forced migration' aspect. 2 of my Great Uncles were sent to Canada as 'British Home Children' in the 1920's after their Father died of TB. I requested their Files from the National Children's Home in London, and it was tragic what happened to them:-(
I couldn't help wondering what happened to the sibling who had been sent to the Fairbridge Home in Australia, - terrible abuses took place there:-(
I read the book 'Empty Cradles' by Margaret Humphry a few years back now, and it tells the story of forced child migration from the UK. I hadn't realised that it only stopped in the late 1960's!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 16:08 GMT (UK) »
I too read the book by Margaret Humphreys which was very enlightening and what a woman she was to take all that on and helping the 'children' to find out about their families. It was made into a film wasn't it?

I found today's viewings interesting and quite sad (watched whilst doing the ironing!).
It's quite amazing that over 2 yrs was spent looking for such relatively small sums of money, it's a good job that they get some quick cases to earn a few £'s.
Kind of job I would have loved to have done, real detective work and a joy when you can give information to people who didn't know their families past. Very rewarding.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 16:33 GMT (UK) »

Yes Caroline, - the book was made into a film called 'Oranges and Sunshine', - because that's what the children being sent to Australia were told they would find. I've seen it, - and it's a good film, - but very sad... See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oranges_and_Sunshine

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Romilly - it sounds familiar, I think I've seen it but couldn't identify the film with the name of the book!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 03 March 17 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Interesting to see the clips about gas lights. My grandfather was a lamplighter, working for Manchester Corporation in the early 1900s.
Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 03 March 17 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Interesting to see the clips about gas lights. My grandfather was a lamplighter, working for Manchester Corporation in the early 1900s.
Kooky

It was, I didn't realise there were still any in existence.

I still find it very sad that people die without leaving a will and that their money then goes to people who are only distantly related and may not even have heard of them. Especially sad if they have very good friends or neighbours. I can understand people who have very little money not bothering, but when I hear of people with a house and savings who die intestate, I wonder what they think will happen to their money? Much better to make a will and leave it who you want.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 03 March 17 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

Going back to my previous and the gentleman who died in Scotland, I don't think I will upset anyone if I now give more details.

The gentlemans estate was worth £150,000 plus two grandfather clocks which were valued at £5000 each. After two years work there were no living relatives found from his parents generation. Scottish law however allowed them to go back a further generation which opened up twice as many lines of descendants.

The end result then was a total 192 beneficiaries but at least they all got a small amount.

The lady in London turned out to be of Jewish descent and had one son who they had been unable to trace. It turned out he had changed his name and moved to America where he died without issue.

The family had moved back and forth between London and Holland where they found more family. Sadly however 31 of them had been sent to the Nazi death camps. One male however had been in England at the time so his descendants were the beneficiaries.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 03 March 17 09:53 GMT (UK) »
I still find it very sad that people die without leaving a will and that their money then goes to people who are only distantly related and may not even have heard of them

Of course, one of the ladies had made a will leaving everything to her friend who, sadly, predeceased her.  I think the fault here lies with the solicitor who perhaps didn't suggest that that might happen and that the lady should also state where she wanted her assets to go if her friend had predeceased her.  Our wills state that if any of the beneficiaries (our children) predecease us, then their share goes to their children and in the case of the one son who hasn't any children, his share is to be divided between the other beneficiaries.  I thought this was normal practice and in the case of a person with no apparent descendants and leaving everything to an elderly friend I would have thought it was essential.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 03 March 17 10:30 GMT (UK) »
my husbands grandfather was the tallest man whoever walked in portsmouth so tall was he that he could light his cigar from the gas-lamps.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet