Author Topic: German newspapers  (Read 358 times)

Offline Ray148ca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
German newspapers
« on: Sunday 26 February 17 21:53 GMT (UK) »
My uncle (Rheal Robineau) was shot down over Germany on this day in 1944. He was in a bombing run over Augsburg, and the plane crashed near Frankenhofen. Unfortunately, i have found many details of his mission after my father died. All he knew was that he was shot down in a bombing run over Germany. My question is: Does Frankenhofen have a newspaper that would have existed in 1944? i presume they would have reported on the crash. Is there any web site on digitized German newspapers, etc? Yes, i would need to brush up on my German. ;) Thanks for any guidance you can offer.
Robineau, Cartie, Sauve, Powell, White, Jenkins

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
Re: German newspapers
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 February 17 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray,

couldn't find any actual paper from that time, but there are some articles much later.

http://www.swp.de/suche/?querystring=Frankenhofen+Februar+1944&search_btn=Suchen.

The second article has a picture of the headstones of the  two soldiers who were killed, Gilbert Robineau and William Thompson.

Hope this helps, regards Peonie

Offline Ray148ca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 February 17 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank You for the reply.

The articles are excellent.  I do have a picture of the  Headstone.  Hope to visit next year.

Roger (Ray) :)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 February 17 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Roger,

Your post caught my eye as I am also researching the crash of a bomber piloted by a relative in 1943.

I must say I hadn't thought of looking through local newspapers.

Do you have the Bomber Command Loss Card for the aircraft?

Have you tried to obtain the crash report from the MOD?

Justin

Offline Ray148ca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 February 17 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply

The idea of looking in German newspapers just came to me yesterday as well.  I have found relatively recent articles about the crash, but they were related to the book that was written on the mission.

Someone mentioned Bomber command loss cards.  I thought these were only completed for US planes, but it is worth looking into.  I do have a crash report from both the RCAF and RAF.  I have a post-war investigation of the crash by the RCAF.  These are quite helpful.

The UK Archives gave me a copy of the mission reports and my uncle's mission is included.  here is a more detailed report but it seems to be missing.  I may have to visit the Archives personally.  Another reason t go to London. :)

Cheers.

Roger

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 February 17 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger,

I was referring to RAF Bomber Command, not the numerous USAAF Bomber Commands active during WW2.

You can look at the BC Loss Card for your uncle's bomber here:
http://www.lancasterbombers.net/Loss_Cards/1944/Feb_44/Feb_44_Pt5/files/book.swf
Scroll to page 56/57.

The second page of the card can be viewed here - page 2:
http://www.lancasterbombers.net/Loss_Cards/1944/Feb_44/Feb_44_Pt6/files/book.swf

The handwriting is notoriously difficult to decipher.

I have come across your earlier posts to this forum and others, and it seems to be me that you have been remarkably fortunate to have obtained a huge amount of information. I'm not sure there is much more to be found.

The investigation report written by the MRES (Missing, Research and Enquiry Section) provides a good account of what was witnessed from the ground. I have a similar report for my crash, but it contains no witness accounts, only details of the burial site.

You say you also have the crash reports from both the RCAF and RAF. I'm jealous!! What do those reports say? I would be very interested to know. Do they not contain any statements made by the surviving crew members?

I don't think a trip to our National Archives will help you much in relation to the crash itself. The Ministry of Defence has only recently started transferring crash reports to the NA. The team responsible for the transfer told me a month ago that they are preparing the files for 1941. It will take years for them to get around to the 1944 files.

Of course, it's well worth coming to London to enjoy some excellent beer!!

Is there something specific that you are hoping to find?

Justin