Author Topic: missing letter  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: missing letter
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 07:57 GMT (UK) »
MaxD that would be fantastic thankyou.
and thanks for the info you make a few notes on a piece of paper a complete real life story which I would have never known.
Gwen

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 09:34 GMT (UK) »
is there also a research area about a soldier medical notes and his stay at the brook war hospital
or is that not something that is reasearchable
thanks
gwen

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 09:59 GMT (UK) »
This link http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=15&lat=50.7435&lon=2.7904&layers=101464927&right=BingHyb
takes you to a side by side map showing the trenches in May 1918.  Crucifix Corner is in the centre, look carefully above the large figure 18.  The map on the right is the present day.  If you zoom out a bit, you will see it is almost exactly half way between Bailleul and Neuve Eglise.
If you have Google Earth, search on Bailleul France, then move to the east (right) towards Nieuwkerke (Neuve Eglise in Flemish) just across the yellow line which is the French/Belgian border  and you should be able to find the large farm complex at Crucifix Corner. (The latitude and longitude shown at the bottom of the image will be 50 44 38.06N, 02 47 26.43E).  If you go to street view, you will see Crucifix Hill running across your front.  The crucifix is still there and comes up on Google Earth as Cavalariekruis.
Send me a PM with your direct email if I've made this too complicated and I can send screen grabs which will help.

As to medical notes etc - if they are not in his records (which they aren't) then the answer is no I'm afraid.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 14:54 GMT (UK) »
There is always more!  This link https://archive.org/details/TheHistoryOfTheLincolnshireRegiment1914-1918
takes you to the history of the Lincolns in the Great War (click the pages to turn them).  The 2/4th arrive on page 211 and the battle at Crucifix Corner is on page 339, so everything between these pages, where 2/4th is mentioned, is the story of grandfather's war.

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 16:21 GMT (UK) »
maxD
Thankyou again great stuff lots to read
Gwen

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Alfred's detailed record did not survive the second war bombing.  However, from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission info and the Register of Soldiers' Effects we know that he served in the Army Cyclists Corps and 5th Battalion Dorset Regiment and died of wounds on 20 August 1917 and is buried in Wimereux Communal Cemetery.  His medal record shows he joined some time after the beginning of 1916.

There are three William (or W) Rack's in the medal entries, a Northumberland Fusilier, a Royal Engineer and a Royal Army Medical Corps man.  No detailed records survive for these either - do you have any family info about his regiment?

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 17:12 GMT (UK) »
No unfortunately I have nothing owing to my grand parents dying before I was born and my father dying when I was young. So no memories passed down. I am just looking at records through ancestry.

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 17:16 GMT (UK) »
However someone gave me this photo which he thought was William

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Thai is a cavalryman and certainly not one of the three regiments.  Someone cleverer than I may be able to enhance the cap badge to ident the regiment.

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk