Author Topic: missing letter  (Read 2890 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: missing letter
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 February 17 12:41 GMT (UK) »
To me - that letter looks like a pre-printed one 'prepared earlier' for the regiment in case the soldier DID go missing. It is not signed, has no name or number on it.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 February 17 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Ok that is interesting would that kind of letter be put routinely in solders service files ?

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 February 17 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ive checked the pow too cant see his name where would the missing list be found
GWEN

The missing were included in the casualty lists:
http://www.researchingww1.co.uk/ww1-casualty-lists

As well as the Times archives, some sites such as the Genealogist include them in their record sets.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 February 17 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 February 17 14:46 GMT (UK) »
 I havent a clue were to look as im new to everything only have the service records from ancestry.co.uk I will check alll the links
thanks

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 February 17 16:52 GMT (UK) »
As you have Ancestry, here's the link to the war diary of 2/4th Lincolns,
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/60779/43112_3023_2-00000?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2fsearch%2fdb.aspx%3fdbid%3d60779%26path%3d&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnBrowsing.  That one goes up to Jan 18, this one continues http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/60779/43112_2590_0-00000?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2fsearch%2fdb.aspx%3fdbid%3d60779%26path%3d&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnBrowsing#?imageId=43112_2590_0-00581 (15 April is at image 582 and was a day full of desperate fighting in which 14 were killed, 128 wounded and 171 missing).

Looking closely at his record, the thought put forward by Josey that it was a proforma form has much to commend it.  His record is straightforward, time in UK then overseas with the battalion when they went to France in Feb 1917 as part of the 59th Division, the back to UK on 19 Apr 1918 having been wounded on 15 April with a spell then in hospital.  There are a couple more blank forms in his records too.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 February 17 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Much to go on here and to digest many thanks for the feedback, I will reseach all these sights with interest as I know his brother Alfred was killed  so will like to see what there is for him too. Incedently I believe his older brother William also served but I cant find any records I heard many records were lost in a bomb fire. Maybe his was one
Again many thanks
Gwen

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 19:33 GMT (UK) »
MaxD
As a complete novice, am I correct in that my grandfather would have most probably been wounded at Crucifix hill as in the diaries on the 15th April and then returned home and that the diaries you linked would be the events that he was involved in?
Thanks

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 22:21 GMT (UK) »
I think the evidence points entirely that way.  He served only in 2/4th Lincolns and his record is quite clear that he was wounded on 15 April 1918.  The war diary account of 15 April is much more comprehensive than most and it is also quite clear that all four companies took a battering that day, so much so that they had to be amalgamated into just two after the action.  Leaving France on 19 April 1918 makes total sense in that he would have been passed through the casualty chain during those four days and sent back to UK arriving at the hospital in Woolwich on 20 April.  Taking a closer look at dates from then on, he was still in hospital in Jun/July when he was given some leave and remained in UK until finally being discharged in April 1919.

I'll send you a map of where it all took place which is to the east of Bailleul in northern France  in a day or so if that will be of interest.

maxD

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia