Author Topic: John & Jesup Weeding - Walton, Suffolk  (Read 1661 times)

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
John & Jesup Weeding - Walton, Suffolk
« on: Tuesday 28 February 17 00:05 GMT (UK) »
I've recently been looking at Manorial records and it seems that John & Jesup (son?) Weeding had a connection with a windmill in Walton.  I have them there in about 1821 to 1823.  I think John died about then, but I cannot prove it.

I'd be interested in any one who knows where "Home Close" field was in Walton and what happened to Jesup after his father died; did he marry, when did he die, etc?

I also think the mill may have been in the hands of James Bacon before the Weedings (pre-1816) so I'd been interested if there is connection there to.

Lots of questions and I'd be grateful for ANY help!

Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John & Jesup Weeding - Walton, Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Windy,

A few  possible answers for burials;

Shottisham St.Margaret.
31-3-1822 Jessup Weeding, inf, of Shottisham

Trimley St.Martin;
15-9-1825 John Weeding, of Walton, 71, ge (gentleman)

Chattisham All Saints & St.Margaret;
24-6-1847 John Weeding, 68, of Elmsett

All taken from the Suffolk Burial Index ex SFHS

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help Allan.  I think one is the 1825 burial at Walton.  I thought Jesup Weeding was a better bet as it seems an unusual name.

Cheers,
Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 March 17 00:07 GMT (UK) »
I think poor Jessup was (like my father in law) given two family surnames as forenames.

Not sure if any of these of help .....

Jessup Rust Weeding christened at Shottisham 27th March 1822 son of John and Charlotte Weeding.

Jessup Weeding b1822 d1822 St Margaret's Shottisham (National Burial Index).

A John Weeding of Trimley 1881 census, living in Winthorpe, Newark, Notts age 69 with wife Frances.

Death of John Jessup R. Weeding in Yorkshire? 1886 at the age of 74

Marriage of Jessup Weeding JanuaryQ 1838 in Stepney, London

Followed by Jesup Weeding - New York Passenger and Immigration Lists 1820-1850
Unfortunately I can't look this one up for you, it would have to be someone with a world wide subs to that famous web site beginning with 'A'  ;)

SM ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 March 17 08:39 GMT (UK) »
The immigration list is as follows
Jessup Weeding age 45 Merchant arrived New York 30 December 1846, ship named Toronto.
no image on this one.
Another passenger list transcribed as Jesus Weeding same information, there is a Nathl, which I think is for Nathanial Weeding age 23 with him also described as a merchant.
Under country to which they belong is USA, country destination is USA.

The marriage in Stepney of Jessup Weeding was 3 March 1838 by license, to Saran Ann Burton, both were of full age address 4 New Terrace Stepney.
His father is John Weeding, farmer, her father is William Burton, officer in ordinance.
transcribed on "A" as Joseph Weeding image available it is definitely Jessup.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 March 17 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Well done amondg  ;)

SM ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 March 17 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Firstly thanks for all your help.

Sue & Amondg I thought a name like Jesup (Jessup, Jesus) Weeding would make it easy if I found him, but clearly not!

My man was admitted to the site of the Walton mill in 1823, from his father (John Weeding, gent, from Trimley St. Martin. John could have moved from Shottisham; its not far, but I'd guess that Jesup must have been at least 20 in 1823.  So the births are too late :(

The chap would went to the US sounds a better bet because he would have been 22 in 1823.

I have to keep digging, but all this have broadened my search radius (which is a help).

Windy

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 March 17 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Well, well!

The Suffolk Chronicle has following:-

“Saturday week, in London. Mr. Jesup Weeding, of Poughkeepsie, United States, North America, to Anne, eldest daughter of the late Mr. Burton, of Bawdsey.”

I'd noticed it before, but did not put them together, however with Bawdsey being so close to Walton (about 5 miles if you cross at Felixstowe ferry) I'm becoming more convinced that he's my man.  Furthermore it seems that last mention of him in the Manorial Records is about 1830 (I'll need to check).

Prior to John Weeding having the mill it seems that a John Bacon was there (with wife Elizabeth).  Unfortunately there were 3 or 4 mills in this town so its hard to place millers to mills.  Still it keeps me busy :)

Windy

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 March 17 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Either way your Weeding family is connected in some way to the English Weeding families in New York, the others are from Germany.
I trolled through the census USA trying to find Jessup, no luck, however I did find a Nathanial Page Weeding in Brooklyn age 45 in 1870, 55 in 1880 living with a John Gibbs family, this same John Gibbs vouched for him when he became a citizen 9 September 1856, address Grand Street New York. Only the index cards are on ancestry not his full declaration which would give DOB, parents etc. It was filed with the Court of Common Pleas, New York County New York. He died 17 January 1894 Kings County New York, never married as far as I can see.
Sorry I'm rambling, but this Nathanial is the right age to be the one on the passenger list of 1846.

My point is at the same time in Suffolk there is a Nathanial Page Weeding.
Then I saw a Stephen Page Weeding baptized 1823 In Trimley St. Martin Suffolk son of Nathanial and Amy Weeding. Too much of a coincidence surely not to be related.