Author Topic: Firefox  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Firefox
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 March 17 20:38 GMT (UK) »
When was the last time you cleared Firefox's cache as this can also cause it to be on the slow side.
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 March 17 21:12 GMT (UK) »
"apart from the fact that I have a default grey bar at the top of the web pages and I can't remember how to change it to something better."

Add-on = Colourfultabs

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 March 17 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Nick - I like to be able to click on the tab and get up pages instantly.  I guess it's just the way I work.

When was the last time you cleared Firefox's cache as this can also cause it to be on the slow side.
  Alan B - if that is the same as clearing cookies I'm not happy doing that.  I like the fact that I don't have to log in each time I go to Rootschat, or even send e-mails - which has just happened after I took Philip's advice to have all cookies cleared each time I exited.  Again, although this might be a good idea, I find it really inconvenient to have to keep logging on to every site I want to use.

Thanks Ray, I'll remember Colourfultabs in future.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 March 17 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Again, although this might be a good idea, I find it really inconvenient to have to keep logging on to every site I want to use.

I think you only have to do it the first time after you clear the cookies don't you?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 March 17 00:54 GMT (UK) »
groom - Philipsearching suggested I set up Firefox so that it didn't remember cookies, but I found that really inconvenient as it meant every time I wanted to reply to a post on Rootschat, for instance, I had to sign in, even though I'd only done it a few minutes before to reply to a different post.

I've gone back to my normal settings and so long as Firefox doesn't crash I can cope with it being a bit slow - not too slow as we do have superfast broadband where we are.  Virgin is putting cable all around the villages but, (and the logic defeats me) because our village is larger than many others it doesn't find it feasible to give us cable.   ::)  However, after a lot of comments from our parish councillors and others they are now thinking about it.  It won't matter to us though as we intend to move away, hopefully before the end of this year if we can find something to buy.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 March 17 07:48 GMT (UK) »

Always make sure you update Firefox to the latest version when prompted to do so.  I use it because it works better on my dinosaur pc than Chrome and have had no issues with it.  I get an option to "restore previous session" when I open Firefox each day and it opens the tabs that I use the most.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 March 17 10:51 GMT (UK) »
I always update when asked to, but I don't get an option to "restore previous session" when I open Firefox, it just does it.

I rarely turn off my laptop, I just close the lid so it "goes to sleep" and when I open the lid it starts up again.  It's permanently plugged in so it doesn't lose any power.

Online Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 March 17 10:54 GMT (UK) »
I too found that Firefox worked better on dinosaur PC's 3sillydogs, but if your PC still runs on Windows XP or Vista, were you aware that support for Firefox on these versions of Windows is ending later this year? From what I understand it will still keep working, but there will be no further updates or security fixes.

I imagine there are quite a lot of people out there still using Windows XP and Vista who are not the most IT confident and will find having to replace old PC's with something newer quite a struggle - both financially and dealing with a new operating system and software.

The Windows/hardware upgrade cycle seems never ending, not great for people who don't like change  :(

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 March 17 11:41 GMT (UK) »
I use Windows 10, so haven't got the problem that people with XP and Vista will experience.