Author Topic: Linguaglossa, Italy ancestors, please help...brick wall  (Read 1683 times)

Offline GreenAllie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Linguaglossa, Italy ancestors, please help...brick wall
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 March 17 13:00 GMT (UK) »
OK, so does it say in part....(paraphrase)?:

On at 9:30 am on 7 December 1895, Salvatore EMMI appeared before the clerk at the Municipal Court for Linguaglossa, and declared that he had a child to register, born of his wife Francesca EMMI and the child is a boy, named Concetto EMMI

......born 7 November. edit: thinks that's wrong? 

Cheers
AMBLY

Is this information from that document you showed me? I'm still trying to decipher it  ???
Could it potentially be that the child was born in November, but was not Christened until December? I believe it was of the norm to wait about a month to do so, although I may be wrong. Again though, you are rockin' it, AMBLY! How do I give you those lovely stars I see next to your profile picture? I'd love to give you a million!

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 March 17 14:09 GMT (UK) »
How do I give you those lovely stars I see next to your profile picture? I'd love to give you a million!
They are related to the huge number of posts AMBLY has made, as are the 'names' eg AMBLY is a Marquessate - which is after 3000 posts.

Great going AMBLY, I have no Italian either so can't help so far but using a bit of Spanish  ;D.
'at 13 hrs on 7th of CURRENT month' actually can't be that if Salvatore was in the registrar's office at 09:30 on 7th; definitely in 'via Niguitti' ... 
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline GreenAllie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 March 17 23:34 GMT (UK) »
So, are we saying that the birth certificate
I've found the Birth Registration document for Concetta EMMI ,  7 December 1895 in  Linguaglossa.
Salvatore's brother. He (Concetto) wrote his DoB on WW1 Registration as 7 Dec 1895.

Cobbled together some basic knowledge of Spanish and even less of Italian  ;D

It's on Family Search - go here:

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2043496

* Click "Browse through 434,962 images"
* Click "Catania"
* Scroll Down, find and click "Linguaglossa "
* Click "Nati 1894-1910 Indici decennali (nati) 1886-1895 Pubblicazioni 1894-1898"
* Where it has " Image Number 1 of 2663"
        highlight the 1 and type in "258" and enter.

There are two records on the page - .  Concetto EMMI is the bottom half entry.   

I'll try getting a translate - but Italian speakers watching this thread - dive in  ;D  ;D  ;D

You need to register with Family Search to be able to see the image (but it's free to do so).

Cheers
AMBLY

....is not my family member? I am so very confused! I posted the document on my facebook to see if anyone could translate it, but no response yet. Should I tell my people to hold off?

Also, thank you for the information about the stars and the name :)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 March 17 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Green Allie,

Thanks for the virtual stars  ;D

To the contrary, because of the date 8 Dec 1895, I'm convinced this Concetta EMMI of the Birth Record  is the brother of your Salvatore EMMI  - also because of the personal knowledge you have of family address', I think that ties the two men together from the WW1 records, as well as to the 1915 Census and the 1912 immigrations.

Would be great to have a reliable translation of the Birth Record on Family Search - look forward to seeing what your people come up with!

There appear to be quite a few EMMI from Linguaglossa in the USA, even around the NY areas - understanding the name's origins and if it was a localised name, would be interesting to know too. And if it is very localised, knowing more about the exact area within that they werre from - an abode name, a street, a farm, an occupation - will surely help pin down your own direct strain of EMMI.

Going back to my very first reply, would also be good if the names and words I bolded in red, that  I couldn't make out, could be deciphered too as it may help tie families together.

;D Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 March 17 00:09 GMT (UK) »

Could it potentially be that the child was born in November, but was not Christened until December?

This is absolutely a possibility, and at first I though that's what it said at one part, near to where the child's name was written - then I  though perhaps the word I thought was "November" in Italian, was not  :) Will see what experts say!

It's also not unheard of for people not to know their actual date of birth. If Concetta had a document that stated 5 Dec 1895, he may have taken that has his birth date not realising it was the date he was registered  or christened even.

It may be an idea to post a question in the Deciphering Board of Rootschat - not a whole separate topic, but rather one that asks for help translating a Southern Italian birth record of 1895, then putting in the link to this topic?

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 March 17 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Born on 7th December 1895, and registered the next day, on the 8th.

Record Number 343
8th December 1895 at 9:30am, at the Town Hall:
There appeared before me, the delegated Municpal Councillor Emanuele Milano, Officer of the State of the City of  Linguaglossa (delegated? by Signor ______ on 5 September 1895):

Salvatore EMMI, aged 37, living in  Linguaglossa, who declared to me that at ___hours and ___minutes  on the seventh day of the current month at a house in Via Vignitti, his legal spouse with whom he cohabitates, Francesca EMMI, gave birth to a child of the male sex whom he now declares and that the name of child is: Concetto.

To the above, and in this act were present as witnesses Filipa (Philippa)CORINI  -------and Paolo (Paul) GELLO resident in this Municipality.

(Can't work out the whole text here, and Salvatore's occupation might be part of it, but this is gist of it - also not sure if it means the witness were present at the birth or present at the registration of it, or both)

(Then the Clerk, Emanuele Milano, signs off, in the last part)

"Via Vignitti" is still a street in Linguaglossa.  The document does not state a particular house number. Maybe the EMMI house was simply known on it, at the time.

https://www.maps-streetview.com/Italy/Linguaglossa/streets.php

Go to "V" and then to page 4. (keep X-ing out of the annoying little pop-up box)

Cheers
AMBLY

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 March 17 11:26 GMT (UK) »
 Have a look at these 2 trees
1741 tree same name and location
                                              Francesca Emmi b 1741 Lingualossa died 1803 aged 62

parents Francesco Emmi and Angela de Puglia 1710 - 1765

Francesca married Giuseppe Vecchio Domani  one child Francsisco Vecchio Domani b 1776

Francesco Emmi parents were Antonino Emmi and ???....no dates
Angela de Puglia parents were Giovanni de Puglia and Natalina Vecchio ...no dates
all events in Lingualossa .
I would think they are connected down the line .
http://gw.geneanet.org/marcelopagano?n=emmi&oc=&p=francesca
http://gw.geneanet.org/marcelopagano?n=emmi&oc=&p=gaetana
same treeowner - he may be able to help you regarding Emmi in Lingualossa
good luck
 :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline GreenAllie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 11 March 17 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Will have to put the ancestry stuff on hold for a while, as my computer is inaccessible at the moment :( Thank you all for your help! I will be back soon :)