Author Topic: Houldershaw Family  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Jesstheoctopi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Houldershaw Family
« on: Saturday 04 March 17 23:37 GMT (UK) »
I am struggling to find some records for 2 members of the Houldershaw family from Grimsby. I currently have:
  • John Houldershaw- who married Lily Weeden in October 1912 and had 3 children (Lilian, Mabel and John)
  • Sally Houldershaw- who I don't have any information of other than that she is the sister of John.

I have got these two off a written family tree sketch my grandmother made when she was younger with the help of one of her Grandparents so the name Sally could be a nickname or short for her actual name. There was also no mention of any more siblings. My grandmother also said that John was gassed in the war and then went mad in an asylum.

Any information or help is greatly appreciated.
Harvey, Hawes, Theaker, Senior, Watkin, Slack, Simmons, Hague, Hillery, Graver, Houldershaw, Catchpole, Nixon, Evison, Weeden/Weedon.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Houldershaw siblings
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 March 17 00:10 GMT (UK) »
What was the name of John's Father from his marriage certificate?

John's birth year could be 1890 from the 1939 census?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 March 17 00:20 GMT (UK) »
The GRO gives his mother's maiden name as Richman. which leads to a sister Susannah, as shown in censuses, and Sally is a reasonable 'other' name.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 March 17 00:24 GMT (UK) »
This marriage via ancestry:

Susannah Houldershaw
Marriage Date: 1905 at Great Grimsby, St.James Church, Lincoln, England
Father:   Lawson Houldershaw
Spouse:   George Henry Wallis
FHL Film Number:   1541949   Reference ID:   2:3HBLFXN

Possible death for her in Grimsby in 1965 age 78

Offline Jesstheoctopi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 March 17 00:59 GMT (UK) »
What was the name of John's Father from his marriage certificate?

I got the marriage year from the marriage index so no Fathers name was mentioned.

The GRO gives his mother's maiden name as Richman. which leads to a sister Susannah, as shown in censuses, and Sally is a reasonable 'other' name.

I had seen Susannah in some censuses as well but my only issue with using those was the mention of other siblings since my grandmother didn't put them onto the family tree and I would have assumed she would've been told about them.

These do look like the only leads I've got and the birth dates do seem reasonable so its most likely correct. I'll have to add this new information to my Ancestry tree and see what else I can find. Thank you for your help.

Harvey, Hawes, Theaker, Senior, Watkin, Slack, Simmons, Hague, Hillery, Graver, Houldershaw, Catchpole, Nixon, Evison, Weeden/Weedon.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Houldershaw Family
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 March 17 02:07 GMT (UK) »
John Houldershaw was born 4/1/1889, son of Lawson Houldershaw and Harriet Richman (who married in 1876).

Lawson and Harriet had 6 children:

Herbert birth reg'd Dec.quarter 1877
Eliza - Mar.qtr.1880
William - June qtr.1883
Susannah - Dec.qtr.1886
John - Mar.qtr.1889
Sarah Ann - Sept.qtr.1893

All 6 survived.

It is Sarah Ann who would have been the 'Sally' (a pet name for Sarah).  Wonder why the tree you have only mentioned the 2 youngest children.

Sarah Ann married an Edward Q. Gissing in 1915 - his first name was actually Edgar but he married as Edward , joined the army as Edward and sadly, was killed (WW1) just 2 years later on 19/6/1917.  They do not appear to have had any children in those 2 years.   Sarah Ann Gissing was only 44 when she died at Grimsby in Dec.qtr.1937.

John Houldershaw died in June quarter 1948 but 9 years earlier is shown as a patient in a mental hospital which ties in with what you say. 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 March 17 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Ann is a much better fit for Sally, just shows that grandmothers do not know everything.

To have complete faith in your tree you do need to buy some actual certificates to check you have the correct people  - if you had applied for the marriage certificate you would have known his father's name and then could have checked the censuses for them.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 March 17 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Baptism;
29 June 1893, St Barnabus Church, Grimsby
SARAH ANN Houldershaw
Birth 16 June 1893
Parents LAWSON and HARRIET
Abode King Edward Street, Grimsby
Fathers Occp Labourer
(FreeREG)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Jesstheoctopi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 March 17 22:13 GMT (UK) »
 This must be them since there is nothing else I can find that could be a suitable match. I will have to look into finding and getting the marriage certificate for John and Lily to see what the name of John's father is to make sure I'm on the right track.

It is Sarah Ann who would have been the 'Sally' (a pet name for Sarah).  Wonder why the tree you have only mentioned the 2 youngest children.

The only reason I can think of to why they might not be included is if they weren't very close to whoever was telling my grandmother about the family so they might not have mentioned them or known them.