Author Topic: William James of Paddington, Butcher, 1800s  (Read 1746 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William James of Paddington, Butcher, 1800s
« on: Wednesday 08 March 17 23:33 GMT (UK) »
For several years I have been trying to track one line which has been elusive so far.

However I have just found something which may help my break the wall down, but really please need some help.

I have a William James, butcher, who married Sarah Burry at St John Paddington in 1844.

They had one son I have found called Osborn William James in 1851. I assume Osborn was a family name, but on which side?!

However I cannot find them in a census and really would like to find them to see if it lists William's birthplace.

Can anyone please help me find them?

William is a new child born to my ancestors who I have only just discovered thanks to his father George James being listed as a carpenter on his marriage.

My ancestor George Edward James' marriage certificate in 1846 in a nearby church has the same father and occupation so I am excited about there being a new sibling.

I have posted previously on this family here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=733949.0

If anyone can help me I would be most grateful.

Thank you,
Jon

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William James of Paddington, Butcher, 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 23:55 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor George Edward James'

When and where was George born as it may help to find William
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 March 17 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole and thanks for replying.

The children of this mystery George James, carpenter, who died before 1854 were:

1. Henry James. Born Westminster 23 March 1816 (date known from his daughter's 'birthday book') Married/cohabited with Frances Hunt c1849 (no marriage found) and died in Wales in 1873. His daughters Elizabeth, Jane and Ellen went to live with his brother George Edward's family in the London area. I cannot find his baptism.

2. William James. Of full age at marriage so born before 1823. Married Sarah Burry in 1844 and had one son in 1851 called Osborn William James. He was a butcher of Moscow Road, Paddington, in 1851.

3. George Edward James. Born Fulham, Middlesex, c1823/4. He married Jane Gatcum in 1846 at St George Hannover Square and died in 1893 at The Five Bells, New Cross, Deptford, of which he was the landlord. His baptism has not come to light but the records for the period for All Saints Fulham are missing on ancestry so perhaps could be there. His marriage certificate of 1846 states his father was a carpenter.

4. Mary Ann James. Born Croydon, Surrey, c1830-1831. I have only found her with her sister Eliza's widowed husband John Poole in the 1881 census in Paddington where she appears to have taken on the housekeeper role following her sister's death in 1872. I have not found her baptism in Croydon or her in any other census. I wonder if there was a census error and she was not in fact his sister.

5. Eliza James. Born London/Paddington c1831-1833. She married John Tucker Poole at St Pancras in 1854 and died in 1872. An Eliza James, daughter of George & Mary, was baptised at Old Church, Saint Pancras, London, in 1832. It is possibly this Eliza but other children baptised here make that possibly unlikely. For example there is no George born in 1824 but a George was baptised in 1835. The father on these is a boot maker, not a carpenter.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Jon

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 March 17 00:21 GMT (UK) »
A GRO maiden name search only brings up Osborn although they may not have registered all births.

Osborn was baptised 29.6.1851 Holy Trinity Paddington and William was shown as a butcher - address Moscow Rd
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 March 17 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking. I can't find Osborn in a later census or his death so not sure what happened to him or his parents!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 March 17 01:04 GMT (UK) »
I've tried the 1851/61/71/81 but no Osborn(e) but he may have used William instead

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 March 17 07:55 GMT (UK) »
George James age 57 was buried St Mary Paddington 15 August 1847, address Moscow Road, Bayswater.

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 March 17 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Oh my goodness! Thank you very much!!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 March 17 12:19 GMT (UK) »
So there appears to be a link with that address between George & William.  George's death was registered in the Kensington RD

Several deaths between 1851-1861 for William James.  I have checked them on the GRO search facility as follows:

March 1852 - aged 32 see below
September 1854 - age 39
March 1855 - he was only 14
September 1857 - 75 and William Henry
June 1858 aged 53 and also William Henry

One entry - Sarah Ann James June 1854 aged 21

The first 2 are more likely which may be why we can't find William in 1861

EDIT

Burial 28.3.1852 St Mary Paddington Green William James 32 - address Moscow Rd