Author Topic: Henry Fenton McLaughlin  (Read 6144 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Fenton McLaughlin
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 March 17 14:47 GMT (UK) »
McLaughlin (and its variants very common in this area) but I think long way off from connecting your Henry Fintan McLaughlin to any of the Coleraine family.

Do you mean a John McLaughlin married a Bridget Doherty? Unfortunatey, Doherty (also with plenty of variants) is even more common here.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline resQengine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 March 17 14:55 GMT (UK) »
I have nothing to support James's father and mother being John and Bridget. Just what someone else had in their tree. So that's what I am searching for. To address your question about the family in Coleraine, the article that you posted stating James managing a distillery in Limavady would correlate with the article I attached in the original post. It also stated that James managed in Limavady and his brother a brother managed Killowen distillery.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 March 17 16:02 GMT (UK) »
The marriage of James McLaughlin & Alicia Hazlett should list his father's name and occupation to confirm a possible link to Coleraine family.

The Will of Edward M'Laughlin late of Coleraine County Londonderry Publican who died 10 August 1893 at same place was proved at Londonderry by Grace M'Laughlin of Coleraine Widow the sole Executrix.

The Will (with two Codicils) of John M'Laughlin late of Coleraine County Londonderry Wine and Spirit Merchant who died 18 June 1897 was proved at Londonderry by Edward Charles M'Laughlin Patrick M'Laughlin Wine and Spirit Merchants and Daniel M'Laughlin Solicitor all of Coleraine the Executors. Will mentions daughter-in-law Alicia & her sons

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 March 17 17:49 GMT (UK) »
James McLaughlin in 1911 census now listed as J.P.- 8 children (all living). Also a daughter Eileen born Dublin.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Coleraine/Captain_Street__Upper/588764

Son Francis married 1916 Dublin but bank official living in Cavan-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1916/09779/5549519.pdf

Family in 1901- James now J.P. & hotel keeper-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Portstewart/Tullymurry_East__Part_of_/1546248

An Eileen McLaughlin born 1902 Coleraine- father William distiller-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1902/01926/1745861.pdf

Offline resQengine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 March 17 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I am having difficulty finding the marriage record for James and Alicia as you mentioned it would verify his father. I reviewed all the other links and all seem like the right family except that last link regarding Eileen. It was difficult to read. I enjoyed reading the will you found for John. That did have some clues. I didn't see James mentioned but daughter in law Alicia was. Also, it mentioned business associates William McGinnis managing something in Portstweart and John Laghery referred to as manservant at Carthall. Referring to James as a J.P., the source I have been referring to states his brother Edward aslo was J.P. I'm not sure what that is. In the 1901 census, John Finan was a Clerk for solicitors General. In my source, it states Daniel, Jame's nephew was first in family. Possible John Finan was working for his cousin? I also don't know what solicitor general did.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 March 17 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Alicia Haslett married 1881 Limavady district looks like a good match for the marriage- not online yet but eventually Irish Genealogy will add it (or you can view it online on GRONI's site after registering and purchasing a few credits).

'Solicitor's general clerk' is a general clerk for a solicitor. Will see if I can find more on him.

Article on family appeared in The Bann Disc (volume 19, 2013)- that seems to be the original of the site you linked in original post.

J.P. = Justice of the Peace

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 March 17 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Looks like son Edward is civil engineer in Kerry in 1911-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kerry/Dingle/Main_Street/105604/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 March 17 18:54 GMT (UK) »

Offline resQengine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 March 17 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Civil Engineer could make sense for Edward was in the 1911 census, even though 14 years old, he was an architect apprentice.

I have read that thread on ancestry. The original poster must be an Aunt or Uncle of mine as Richard was my grandfather. I did send a message to someone who replied and gave a lead of James McLaughlin and Mary McPoyle of Claggan,Magilligan.