Author Topic: Daniel Evans 1861 census (born 1851)  (Read 2917 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Evans 1861 census (born 1851)
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 March 17 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes - I seem to have missed out Jane.  Will add her in.

Yes the change from milkman to tobacco cutter seem to happen in 1851, as you say.  Perhaps inspired by his 1851 neighbour?

Milkman might have been a hard job for a 50 yr old in 1851.  I don't know to what extent it would have involved managing the cows etc.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 09 March 17 15:57 GMT (UK) »
In 1851 Ann Evans, 10 b Southwark, was a daughter of Thomas Evans (50 b Carmarthenshire, milkman) and Ann (40 b Llandovery), of St George Southwark. Address: 17 Valentine Place.

It just goes to show how important it is to look at the images, as FindMyPast have Ann (40)  as born in Ireland; the image obviously says Llandovery.
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 March 17 16:06 GMT (UK) »
A possibility for Jane in 1851:

St George's Southwark Pauper Juvenile Establishment, Lewisham

[In a long list of staff & inmates]

Jane Evans pauper unm 20 Nurse b Southwark St George's

HO107/1591/393/21
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 March 17 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Given the ages of the parents I suppose they could be dead by 1861 and may not be possible to link Daniel to his parents via the census.
I found a D Evans listed in 1861 for the Welsh School in Ashford -DoB is 1849, so out by two years.
A google search says it is a school for children of Welsh parents living in London - not sure if it is for paupers?
RG09/762/18/29
Unfortunately none of the children listed has their first name given in full, so probably not Daniel.
Has anyone come across any more detailed admission lists.
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 March 17 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Has Daniel been found in 1871?

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 March 17 16:49 GMT (UK) »
No I cant find him in 1871 either, he must be hiding somewhere  :).
There is a soldier in Kent born London Middlesex, DoB 1853, which could be a possibility, but really cant find anything certain
Mar
Surname Interests

Offline janielle.bryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 11:49 BST (UK) »
daniel evans is my 2x great grandfather. i have had trouble finding this family as well. once he marries there is no problem. he married Laura Susan snow. MarMnkly i have joined roots chat just to comment on this post. are you a descended relation to daniel? my family tree goes back to daniels birth and it stops there because there is just no confident matches with his birth certificate (i ordered this certifcate and shared it i also shared marraige and death certificates) until i get a match with the address or something that proves it is them. i have not even found a census of them. nothing before he marries laura susan. i cannot identify the correct marraige becaseu it is a very common marraige name at that time in history. i do not know the area well enough to nail anything so it has sat. i googled his name today and this post came up so i have tried to work out how to contact you marmnkly but i cannot work it out lol so i am commenting here. i do hope this is the correct way to do this. plse contact me. all the best janielle

Offline janielle.bryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 12:00 BST (UK) »
avm228 re:reply 3 What is the source for Daniel's mother's name being Ann?

Does this come from the birth certificate - and if you do have that certificate, what was the address at which the birth took place and informant's detail?

my answer yes the birth certificate list ann williams as daniels mother and the address is either 4 popes buildings or 4 foxes buildings or 11 popes buildings or foxes buildings i have never been able to decipher it accurately. none of those addresses have helped me match anything anyway.

Offline janielle.bryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 01:00 BST (UK) »
Given the ages of the parents I suppose they could be dead by 1861 and may not be possible to link Daniel to his parents via the census.
I found a D Evans listed in 1861 for the Welsh School in Ashford -DoB is 1849, so out by two years.
A google search says it is a school for children of Welsh parents living in London - not sure if it is for paupers?
RG09/762/18/29
Unfortunately none of the children listed has their first name given in full, so probably not Daniel.
Has anyone come across any more detailed admission lists.

how do you know how old daniels parents where ? i have been able to find nothing about them other then their names on his birth cert and his marraige cert..do you know something i don"t