Author Topic: Maud Hazlewood  (Read 745 times)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maud Hazlewood
« on: Friday 10 March 17 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about Maud Hazlewood? She was an entertainer mainly between 1890 and 1900 travelling around England (music halls?) and her specialty seems to have been imitating farmyard animals.
I have googled her name, looked on FindmyPast, Familysearch and apart from some newspaper reports on her act, found nothing biographical.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maud Hazlewood
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 March 17 09:44 GMT (UK) »
There's a Maud Hazlewood born in Tottenham 1885, too young unless she did baby animal impressions  :D
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 March 17 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The newspapers I have read( dated from 1891 onwards)  state  her title as a Miss... so you may be looking for a marriage for her in the 1900's, a surname change. She may have stopped performing due to marriage, or even her age as there seems to be nothing in the papers, with her surname ,in the 1900's.
I wouldn't totally rule out that she was a Mrs  though, she may have just used Miss on stage ( as Miss sounds much better than Mrs as a stage title)
Maud played a banjo, and also mimicked birds and animals in theatres , she played alongside other small acts in the theatres such as  sketch actors, comedians, magicians etc. .

There are a few  Maud Hazlewood  (births) possibilities that I can see that are old enough to have taken to the stage in the 1890's . She may be one of the Maud's on the BMD with a middle name, or she may not even been born in England or Wales at all, and you need to look in Scotland and Ireland too. If you haven't done so already, I think you may need to widen your search on her name, Haslewood and Haglewood too, as many of the censuses for Hazlewood have transcribed them as those names too.

The newspaper articles have Maud performing in theatres all over Britain and not just in England . She performed throughout  England, Ireland , Scotland and Wales ( there are newspaper articles advertising performances that included Maud  in local theatres  from all these 4 countries).
She apparently also performed with a troupe called the Sun Brand Minstrels beside other troupes.

Queen Mary University of London Archives site:
http://www.library.qmul.ac.uk/media/library/archives/palace/QMC_PP_14_16_Issue_278.pdf
( she is on page 125 of the above journal with the Sun Brand Minstrels)

She seems to have travelled around Britain quite a bit during the 1890's. It is possible that you may have difficulty tracking her in the 1891 census (I haven't take note on the exact dates that she played in each individual country, but if she was performing in Ireland in 1891 around census time,she may be lost in that destroyed census).  Maud may even be her middle birth  name that she called herself by ( plenty of those births too) .It  may also be just a stage name and not her birth name, she may not even be born in Britain. There are endless possibilities.
Is she a relative, or just an interest ? If she is a relative, who were her parents? Have you got any info besides a name from newspapers?

Kind Regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 March 17 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Cell and Millipede for your replies.
I am looking at my husband's family (Hazelwood/Hazlewood and so on) and was just wondering if she fitted in anywhere. I have found a couple of possibles there but think they are unlikely. I was hoping to find a year of birth somewhere in the newspapers.
It may also be that Maud Hazlewood wasn't her real name which opens up another can of worms!
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more