Author Topic: Palmer Family Coatbridge originally from Ireland  (Read 551 times)

Offline k1yak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Palmer Family Coatbridge originally from Ireland
« on: Friday 10 March 17 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon everyone,

I'm looking for some help i'm looking into my Irish roots and failing.

I'm look for a Birth place for a Samuel Palmer in Ireland.  His mother was Margaret Jane Palmer nee Neilson or possibly Nelson both spellings have been used (I have tried a wildcard search) his father was Samuel Palmer a farmer and was deceased  noted on Samuel jrs marriage certificate in 1895 in Coatbridge to a Kate Wood.  Margaret Jane Palmer had another son called John Palmer abt 1878 and died in 1947 again born in Ireland but his father was called John Palmer (maybe she married her brother in law????) This evidence was from 1901 and 1911 census in Coatbridge and John Palmer Jr Death Certificate in 1947.  I have tried Find My Past Ancestry and Scotland People and can't find anything and connects them all before 1895 in Coatbridge in Scotland.  Any help would be appreciated
Sanders Goss Buchanan Andrews Rolph Paton cochran speirs Barnard speller palmer Ramsey Belcher powell Durman Tanner Wood McNeil McDowall Simpson Dick Cumming Graham Goudie White

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Palmer Family Coatbridge originally from Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 March 17 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Can you please give us an idea of when Samuel Palmer was born?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline k1yak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 March 17 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Forgot to put that information in. Samuel Palmer was born abt 1872 and Died in January 1939 aged 67.

Thank you for your help.
Sanders Goss Buchanan Andrews Rolph Paton cochran speirs Barnard speller palmer Ramsey Belcher powell Durman Tanner Wood McNeil McDowall Simpson Dick Cumming Graham Goudie White

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 March 17 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births started in 1864 so there should be a birth registration for Samuel.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

Only 7 Samuel Palmer births registered in Ireland in 1870s- neither of the 1872 ones are him and none of the other 5 are close either. You can search by other decades but if he was illegitimate his birth would have been registered under mother's surname.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline k1yak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 March 17 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that.

I hadn't thought about the illegitimacy idea....  I have tried all the names  and I still can't find anything.  Would you know if there is passenger lists from Ireland to Scotland that might have there names.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 March 17 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget the 'unknown' registrations, where a first name had not yet been chosen. They are forever catching me out.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344