Author Topic: London divorce record  (Read 463 times)

Offline beniamino

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
London divorce record
« on: Sunday 12 March 17 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I am at a loss trying to find a divorce record. I know the names of the couple, that the divorce happened between 1955 and 1963, and I have the address where they lived in London before the divorce. I do not know which court the divorce happened at. I asked the Central Family Court to search for the record (paying £65 as described here: https://www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order). They were unable to find the record. I asked for a re-search, which produced the same result.

I am at a loss about how to proceed. One idea would be to ask the court nearest their address to conduct a search. However, I can't work out which courts existed in 1960, or which courts heard divorce cases. Asking many courts to conduct a search would also be very expensive (£45 a go).

I would be grateful for any ideas about how I might proceed.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: London divorce record
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 March 17 10:58 GMT (UK) »
From TNA website

The survival rate of divorce case files is:
1858-1927: almost 100%
1928-1937: 80%
After 1937: less than 0.2%
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/divorces/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 March 17 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Are you absolutely sure that the divorce happened?
Or are you assuming that a divorce happened?

There are very few divorce case notes in existence for divorces happening after 1937.
If you do find the Decree Absolute, it will give very little information; it's just an A4 piece of paper :-\

Did you ask the Central Family Court to search for variants of the names?
My grandfather's divorce is indexed under an incorrect spelling! Took a while to find.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline beniamino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 10:56 GMT (UK) »
I only need the document, not any further information. I can't be absolutely sure the divorce took place, but a later marriage certificate says "Previous marriage dissolved" so it seems likely that it did. I did ask them to search for all name variants that I can think of.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 12:33 GMT (UK) »
There is a good chance that it has not survived.  As KG said the absolute says very little, just names & date - no reason.

They would probably have produced the absolute when they married hence the 'previous marriage dissolved' comment
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk