Author Topic: United Co-operative Laundries Association (UCLA)  (Read 1132 times)

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
United Co-operative Laundries Association (UCLA)
« on: Sunday 12 March 17 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am currently pursuing a line of (family history) research which relates to the United Co-operative Laundries Association.

My purpose in writing is to ask if anyone has any knowledge of any archived material or associated resources concerning the UCLA.

As the UCLA grew beyond its original ownership by the Failsworth Industrial Co-operative Society, and in December 1911 became an independent federal (co-op) society jointly owned by 10 retail (co-op) societies, there are no direct records (after 1911) within the Failsworth society's archives that are held in the National Co-op archives in Manchester.

All that is held is a booklet, entitled "from clean to gleam", which was produced in 1962 to celebrate the Jubilee of the UCLA. At that time it was jointly owned by no less than 73 retail societies!

Any guidance will be very much appreciated.

Willyam

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: United Co-operative Laundries Association (UCLA)
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 March 17 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for these links heatherjulie.

The 1962 booklet refers to the Longsight laundry as being the biggest in Europe (and possibly in the world) when it was built.

It is always lovely to see old photos of Hyde - particularly as I was married in Gee Cross, and have just returned from a few days staying there with dear friends.

Unfortunately, all that seems to pop up are old photos of UCLA buildings but surely there must a wealth of material archived somewhere?

Willyam