Author Topic: Thomas Mallinson, Barnsley, Born 1857  (Read 1586 times)

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Mallinson, Barnsley, Born 1857
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 16:00 GMT (UK) »
1911 Census - Thomas MALLISON (n.b. spelling)

age 52 living at Foulby Hemsworth Wakefield with Mary Ellen (52.)  Thomas born Barnsley - Ellen in Stairfoot. Thomas's occupation screen foreman.

3 children John Lloyd (20) Stella (16) Ruth (13) - all children born in Ecclesfield.

(not checked 1901 census)

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage with Mary Hodgson 4th Q 1888 Barnsley, Volume 9C Page 247
I also have a death for Thomas Mallinson  1st Q 1916 (so could have died 1915) Barnsley Volume 9C Page 265, stating birth 1853, age 63  - that bit only being to the best of the informant's knowledge
I have a birth for a Thomas Mallinson  4th Q 1857 Barnsley, Volume 9C Page 113
I also have a Thomas Mallinson turning up on ER pages for addresses in Barnsley 1880s through to 1915: address in 1903 is  Freehold land on Eldon St North, Barnsley and in 1915 is a dwelling house at 50 Grafton Street (does this match with the death certificate?)

Hope this gives you a bit more to go on!
Stitch
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Just for interest, Thomas's Mother also appears to have been a Hodgson, and Mallinson amd Mallison are used for children,marriages, censuses, etc at different times.

Marriages March quarter 1857 
Emma Hodgson Barnsley    9c 121   
Richard Mallison Barnsley  9c   121

From GRO:
Thomas Mallinson  mmn Hodgson   
Birth GRO Reference: 1857  December Quarter in Barnsley Union  Volume 09C  Page 113

Offline jmsp1kers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the feedback.

Have you got any marriage certificates of children, to see whether they claimed he had died?

Have you found her death?

I hadn't considered that about the marriage certificates, I'll have to look into it. However, most of their children died young and it looks like the earliest marriage was by the son Lawrence in 1919.

As for Mary's death I believe she died in 1944 and was buried in the same plot as her son Charles who died in 1920 from a war related illness. I haven't found anything to suggest Thomas was buried there too, or in the same cemetery.

I do now wonder if I've mixed up two people. For instance, his uncle Benjamin also had a son called Thomas, born two years later in 1859. And as has been pointed out, the 1888 the age on the marriage bann to Mary Hodgson roughly fits (29), but on the 1891 census his age is actually younger (26)! Why the disparity?

All the children that have been mentioned (Charles, Lawrence, Mabel and Emma) have the mother's maiden down as Hodgson on the GRO website, so it does appear to back up that I've got the right man.

I have a marriage with Mary Hodgson 4th Q 1888 Barnsley, Volume 9C Page 247
I also have a death for Thomas Mallinson  1st Q 1916 (so could have died 1915) Barnsley Volume 9C Page 265, stating birth 1853, age 63  - that bit only being to the best of the informant's knowledge
I have a birth for a Thomas Mallinson  4th Q 1857 Barnsley, Volume 9C Page 113
I also have a Thomas Mallinson turning up on ER pages for addresses in Barnsley 1880s through to 1915: address in 1903 is  Freehold land on Eldon St North, Barnsley and in 1915 is a dwelling house at 50 Grafton Street (does this match with the death certificate?)
Stitch

I'd considered this one before, but he has a probate for 1916 where he leaves his effects to his widow Jane Mallinson.

One final thing. Thomas' mother Emma Mallinson lists that she had 9 children on the 1911 census and that 5 of them had died. Though I can actually only find 8 kids, I have the 4 that were still alive at that point, so that suggests Thomas must have been one of those that had died.

So... assuming he died before 1911, but was alive in 1902 to father another child (called John Patrick), that at least gives me a window to work with.

Again, thanks for everyone's help.

Offline jmsp1kers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 March 17 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Just thought I'd update this with a little find that perhaps puts a different spin on things. It's a page of the Barnsley Chronicle from 1896 with a little notice from Thomas Mallinson, miner, that says he will not be responsible for any debts his wife Mary Mallinson (formally Mary Hodgson) may contract after this notice.

Doesn't get me any closer to finding Thomas admittedly, but it does perhaps explain why he stops being in the census records with her.

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 March 17 23:08 GMT (UK) »
was the Thomas Mallison (no 'n') I found on the 1911 census - see earlier post on this thread not the right one?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 March 17 23:16 GMT (UK) »
zetlander,

The Tomas Mal*son that you posted in 1911 is in a tree on Ancestry.

'When Thomas William Mallison was born on 8 January 1859 in Barnsley, Yorkshire, his father, John, was 22 and his mother, Annie, was 20. He married Mary Ellen Widdowson on 6 October 1881 in his hometown. They had five children in 15 years. He died on 10 March 1923 in Doncaster, Yorkshire, at the age of 64'

Added:
That family in 1901 from Ancestry
Living in Ecclesfield
Thomas W Mollison   42  Barnsley
Mary E Mollison   42
Rose A E Mollison   13   Ecclesfield
John L Mollison   10   Ecclesfield
Stella Mollison   6    Ecclesfield
Ruth Mollison   3    Ecclesfield
 RG13   Piece  4332   Folio 58   Page 39

Parents with Rose and John showing in 1891 also.

Offline jmsp1kers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 March 17 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Sorry zetlander, it doesn't appear to be the right one, though there are a few similarities. The parents of my Thomas were Richard and Emma.