Author Topic: Searching for the parents of Amanda Lavinia Billington  (Read 697 times)

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for the parents of Amanda Lavinia Billington
« on: Wednesday 15 March 17 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Trying to help a relative find the parents of Amanda Lavinia Billington. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Here's the details so far....

He believes Amanda was born in Norfolk County, Ontario sometime between 1835-43
She moved to Iowa around 1860-ish and married William Perry 11 Mar 1863
Her and her husband moved to Los Angeles, California and that's where she passed away (Possibly the Manda L. Perry b. abt 1851 d. 15 Sep 1911 Los Angeles?)

She plays into my family line since our DNA has been matched, and she shows up on the same Census pages as my direct relatives as well. She is never listed with parents in any of the Census, and I believe she goes by Lavinia Billington when she is younger, not sure if Amanda is a name that she adopted when she moved to the US, or maybe a middle name.

In the 1851 Canada Census she's listed in Charlotteville, Norfolk, listed as Canadian, 9 years old, she's listed as "Not Members" under Resident and attending school.

She is shown in the 1860 US Census as living in Moscow, Muscatine, Iowa at 19 working as a Domestic. (how she ended up in Iowa by herself at 19 is a good question)

We've proven that she's related to my Billington line through DNA comparisons, which is great. But, figuring out how is the tricky part. I can't seem to find any other info out that might help solve the mystery.

My line traces back to a William Billington & Mary Wyatt (both born about 1790s) that I believe immigrated to Canada from Northamptonshire, England to Norfolk with their 6 children. (4 boys & 2 girls)
I think Amanda was possibly the child of one of their sons.

Here's all the info I have on the sons....

George Billington (1812-1889) - I have him marrying an Eliza Kenndy in 1834 in Middlesex, Ontario.
William Billington (1816-1889) - I have him marrying an Elizabeth Looks in 1844. In the 1851 census, he's living with his wife Elizabeth in Walsingham, Norfolk with 3 children (oldest is 8 years old)
Nathan Billington (1821-?)- I have him with a spouse Janet (Jennett), he was in the Army from 1838-1839, not much more info on him. In the 1851 census, he's living with his wife in Townsend, Norfolk.
Job Billington (1823-1890) - This is my x3 great grandfather. He married Emily Murphy in 1952 and had 5 children from 1855-1875. He's listed in the 1851 census living in Charlotteville, Norfolk with his future brother in laws.

I do have one theory..... Job was quite a bit older than his wife Emily (by 12 years), I wonder if it's possible that he had a child before they were married? Again, I have no idea how to prove this idea. I think he might be the most plausible option.

I think there is definitely a possibility that Amanda was born illegitimate, but it's so hard to find records to back this up.

When I searched for other Billingtons, there is a Thomas Billington, also living in Charlotteville, only 13, and seems to be living by himself, I wonder if it could be another illegitimate Billington? Just coming up with possibilities. (Also not a member resident) I tried to look him up to see if he could unlock any answers, but there seems to be only the one mention of him in 1852 and then he disappears.

Hope all this makes sense! Definitely would welcome any ideas, advice, etc. on where to go from here! Thanks so much!

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for the parents of Amanda Lavinia Billington
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Good morning lockheaven,

I have ancestors in Charoletteville, Norfolk Co., Ontario as well and have received quite a bit of help in the past from the Eva Brooks Donaly museum located in the Town of Simcoe, Ontario. I would suggest you contact them at http://www.norfolklore.com/. I would  contact the the public library and the county genealogy group at:

http://www.ncpl.ca/genealogy/
http://www.nornet.on.ca/~jcardiff/lps/index.html

Both were quite helpful in tracing my ancestors in Charoletteville and other Norfolk Co places.

I trust this will help you,

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 March 17 03:37 GMT (UK) »
If Amanda was illegitimate, she may have her mother's surname. Have you already checked records for the 2 Billington daughters to see if one of them could have been her mother?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 March 17 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help everybody, mystery is solved! My relative came across an invaluable piece of information that explains everything. Amanda's father was in fact George Billington and Eliza Kennedy. Quite a sad tale of both parents passing away and leaving behind 3 orphans. But it does explain a lot. Thought I would include it just in case someone else is looking. Thanks again!

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 March 17 00:26 GMT (UK) »
And one mystery solved leads to more work for you with respect to updating your information on George since he didn't die in 1889.  ;) :P

Is it possible info for George and William was mixed up as they are listed as having died in the same year in your opening post? I've seen the death registration for William in the Ontario deaths but that was the only Billington listed who died that year.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz