Author Topic: John Wilkes/Harriet Pre-Wilkes?  (Read 768 times)

Offline westbury

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Wilkes/Harriet Pre-Wilkes?
« on: Wednesday 15 March 17 09:42 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the marriage of John Wilkes born c 1822 Stafford to Harriet ? born c 1824 (Abbots) Bromley. On the Ancestry site the marriage details are "John Wilkes m Harriet Pre-Wilkes"
I have never seen this "Pre" before - does it signify something?  I have found a possible marriage in Newport, but it is one of 4 marriages that could fit the bill and I don't have Harriet's maiden name.

Thank you :)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Wilkes/Harriet Pre-Wilkes?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Where and in what year was this supposed marriage?  I can't find anything on FreeBMD 1840-1870 with a surname Pre-Wilkes
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Westbury

If you search the GRO Index site it gives you the mothers maiden name on children therefore looking at their daughter Harriet she was born 1847 registered Newport and her mothers maiden name was Griffin

Cross checked this with John born 1849 registered Newport which also gives the maiden name of Griffin

FreeBMD 1846 Newport John Wilkes same page Harriet Griffin

Hope this helps

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Doh - found the source - an Ancestry tree!!!!  :-X
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Lol  ;D

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 10:18 GMT (UK) »
5.10.1846 All Saints Forton John Wilkes of Sutton father Thomas to Harriet Griffin of Eccleshall father George

Willow x

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 12:23 GMT (UK) »
1851 we have in Staffs;
John Wilkes, 29, Head, Mar, Schoolmaster, born Stafford
Harriet Wilkes, 27, Wife, Mar, born
Harriet Wilkes, 3
John Wilkes, 2
Anna A Wilkes, 1mth

1861 in Cheshire;
John Wilkes, 40, Head, Widr, Schoolmaster, born Staffordshire, Stafford
Harriet Wilkes, 13, Daug
John Wilkes, 12, Son
Jane Avarne Wilkes, 9, Daug
ANN Wilkes, 70, Mother to Head of Family, Widow, born Staffordshire, Stafford

Baptism;
JOHN Wilkes, 3 April 1822, St Mary, Stafford, Staffordshire
Parents THOMAS/ANN, Fathers Occp Shoemaker

Siblings;
BELINDA 22 March 1817, buried 24 April 1817 age 5 weeks
MARY ANN 30 Sept 1818
JOSEPH 28 May 1825

I cant find a Marriage for Thomas/Ann at this stage or any more Children to them.

There is also this Burial same Church;
JAMES 27 Sept 1812, Son of Thomas/Ann

MARY ANN Wilkes married Thomas ALLEN 15 July 1838 St Mary, Father THOMAS, Occp Cordwainer (Shoemaker)

All above on FreeREG.

You would nee the 1846 M/C to establish Johns Father Thomas's Occp.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline westbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 March 17 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much for your help. Griffin was the connection I suspected, but must confess haven't used FreeREG - am out of practice I'm afraid. Will have to start catching up on the sources available, also the tip about GRO index - very useful. I know Ancestry is perhaps not the favourite site but if you trawl and check results it can be useful. Still can't work out the "Pre-Wilkes" though. Once again - thanks to all. :) :)

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 March 17 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much for your help. Griffin was the connection I suspected, but must confess haven't used FreeREG - am out of practice I'm afraid. Will have to start catching up on the sources available, also the tip about GRO index - very useful. I know Ancestry is perhaps not the favourite site but if you trawl and check results it can be useful. Still can't work out the "Pre-Wilkes" though. Once again - thanks to all. :) :)

When you say you first found the connection on Ancestry, do you mean it was on someone else's tree, or in one of the indexes?
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!