Author Topic: Finding an ancestor listed on Census 1901 and 1911 born in different locstions  (Read 2385 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Finding an ancestor listed on Census 1901 and 1911 born in different locstions
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 17:00 GMT (UK) »
4Q Belfast
In birth registration index it is 1Q, 2Q 3Q, 4Q so it is a quarter of the year, so 4Q is October, November, December that he was REGISTERED , he may have been born in one of those months or from the quarter before ( 3Q) and registered late. Belfast indicates Belfast area
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding an ancestor listed on Census 1901 and 1911 born in different locstions
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Where does 'finding out that John could have been born in Dublin or India.' come from? perhaps you are mis-reading myluck!'s example about their ancestor?

Quote from: muriellecampbell
Also in the Belfast City Council burial search there is John Lonsdale and his wife Catherine Matchett with 4 children in the same burial plot.  The children were listed as Priscilla, Walter, William and Alice.  We believe that Alice may have died as a result of a fire.  How would I find a newspaper article identifying the truth of her death on January 13, 1903?  Or it is another child listed in this burial plot?  Would love to hear more. :-\
Here's Alice's death certificate-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1903/05673/4598228.pdf
and her birth-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1896/02175/1823670.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 March 17 17:38 GMT (UK) »
What does OH GGS (Census records) mean ???
Murray and Campbell

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 March 17 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Would it be possible to see if anyone can locate the parents of Catherine Matchett who married John Lonsdale (Lausdale).  I have been on ancestry and I could not find any records of her parents through family trees, etc.  Any help would be useful so I can get past the brick wall in finding her parents.
Murray and Campbell

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 March 17 18:02 GMT (UK) »
OH  = other half
GGF great grandfather
you'll soon learn the abbreviations used in family history and rootschat but don't be afraid to ask those you can't decipher!!

I am sure others are looking for Catherine but we can also give you some websites where you can look for yourself.

Being born in India may indicate a father in the army.

See reply #4; the marriage record will have Catherine's father's name & occupation. irishgenealogy.ie do not have the image of the marriage record, so you would have to buy the certificate. You can get a research copy for 4€ using info from
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/i-want-to-get-a-copy-of-a-certificate-what-do-i-do
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 March 17 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Another person in my family tree that I can't find any more information for is Mary Ann Baillie.  She is listed in the 1911 Census as living at House 11 in Arkwright Street (Court Ward, Antrim) .  She was married ca 1895 to Alexander Boyles born Feb. 16, 1874.  Mary Ann Baillie was born on June 21, 1877 according to family records and died on May 3, 1938 in Belfast.  The 1911 Census identifies her birthplace as Scotland and the 1901 birthplace was Glasgow, Scotland.  I have hit a brick wall trying to locate Mary Ann Baillie's parents.  Can anyone help finding who her parents are? :(
Murray and Campbell

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 March 17 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Another person in my family tree that I can't find any more information for is Mary Ann Baillie.  She is listed in the 1911 Census as living at House 11 in Arkwright Street (Court Ward, Antrim) .  She was married ca 1895 to Alexander Boyles born Feb. 16, 1874.  Mary Ann Baillie was born on June 21, 1877 according to family records and died on May 3, 1938 in Belfast.  The 1911 Census identifies her birthplace as Scotland and the 1901 birthplace was Glasgow, Scotland.  I have hit a brick wall trying to locate Mary Ann Baillie's parents.  Can anyone help finding who her parents are? :(
As this request is about different people, you'd be better off posting a new thread on this topic on the Lanarkshire board; put Mary Ann Baillie's name in the title.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 March 17 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Continuing to provide more information re Mary Ann Baillie born June 21, 1877.  Her husband Alexander Boyles born Feb. 16, 1874 and Mary Ann Baillie had many children but I am going to focus on their daughter Elizabeth Baillie Boyles born 1902.  Elizabeth married Thomas Lonsdale also born 1902.  I have a marriage certificate for Elizabeth and Thomas married November 3rd, 1922.  A witness at the wedding is James Coulter Baillie.  I have done some research on James Coulter Baillie and I believe that Mary Ann Baillie is her older brother but I have no proof.  James Coulter Baillie was born ca 1873 Co. Antrim.  He lived at house 40 in Crosby Street (Wood Vale Ward, Antrim) according to Census of Ireland 1911.  James's father was Samuel Heenan Baillie born 1851 in Belfast. Samuel married Mary Ann Coulter born 1855.  It appears that they had a child Margaret who was born in Scotland.   I'm curious if the family moved for a few years to Scotland and that would be the reason that Mary Ann and Margaret were born there.  Can any one agree to my idea that Mary Ann could be the child of Samuel Heenan Baillie and Mary Ann Coulter or am I totally mistaken?  I have not found any family trees identifying Mary Ann Baillie as belonging to the family of Samuel and Mary Ann Coulter.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Murray and Campbell