Author Topic: Lawrence Buddo Waters ; born 8 Nov 1875, St Andrews, Scotland  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Lawrence Buddo Waters ; born 8 Nov 1875, St Andrews, Scotland
« on: Wednesday 15 March 17 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Lawrence Buddo Waters was born on 8 November 1875 in St Andrews, Fife, Scotland and, I believe, died in 1960 in South Africa.  Lawrence had a successful career in South Africa as a professional golfer.

Today I have found the 12 May 1903 register of his marriage (attached) to Jessie Morrison Mackenzie who was born in 1873 in Lochinver, Sutherland, Scotland.  They married in the Presbyterian Church, Bree Street, Johannesburg, Witwatersand Gold Fields, Transvaal, South Africa.  The date and place of Jessie's death is unknown.

Can anyone help me with any more information on this couple?

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lawrence Buddo Waters ; born 8 Nov 1875, St Andrews, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 19:36 GMT (UK) »
1901 -

Peter Waters 50 b. St Andrews. Fisherman
Mary Waters wife 49 b. St Andrews
Peter Waters son 27 b. St Andrews. Fisherman
Lawrence Waters son 25 b. St Andrews. Golf Club Maker
Betsy Waters dau 23 b. St Andrews. Servant
John Waters son 21 b. St Andrews. Caddie
Henry Waters son son 19 b. St Andrews. Golf Club Maker
Peter Waters Father 76 b. St Andrews
Lizzie Waters serv 30 b. Re, cellardy  ???
Betsy Gourlay serv 16 b. St Andrews
Euphemia Gourlay niece 11 b. St Andrews

Living at 39 North Street, St Andrews.

JJ

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Andy. We've corresponded before, but maybe not about Wat(t)ers.

This Lawrence Waters had a brother, Peter Waters, who married Elizabeth Lecadit Watson of Cellardyke in 1904. She was a second cousin of my grandfather Watson, who went to the fishing with her brother James Watson ("Patchie"). Have you seen any of the books about the fishing industry in the East Neuk written by the late Peter Smith of Anstruther, native of Cellardyke and long-time maths. teacher at Waid Academy? In his book "From the Sma' Lines and the Creels to the Seine Net and the Prawns", Pete describes how, in his early student days at St. Andrews University, he was a bit overawed by university life and too poor to indulge in the high life like some of his fellow students, so he spent a lot of time with the fisherfolk, especially with Peter Waters, a friend of his father's, and Peter's "Dyker" wife. Like a lot of St. Andrews fishermen, Peter Waters had a sideline in caddying on the Old Course and once caddied for Bobby Locke, who tried unsuccessfully to persuade him to come back to America with him.

My great-uncle Henry "Harry" Duff, whom my father and I were both called after, was brought up in the fishing community in St. Andrews and his stepfather William Bond was a seaman turned golf caddy, so I suppose that was how he got his start. Harry became a golf pro in Nashville, Tennessee. My uncle John Watson followed him out to the States after WWI and became a pro in South Bend, Indiana, where for a time in the late 1920s my father was his assistant, before coming home and going to the fishing.

Another Waters/Watson marriage - Thomas Waters of St. Andrews (s/o Thos. Waters and Catherine Anderson) married Ann Watson of Cellardyke (d/o Wm. Watson and Mary Doig) in 1881, on the same day that James Brown of St. Andrews married Elspeth Robertson of Cellardyke.

Sorry, getting a bit far removed from your original query here!

Harry

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Zimbabwe Death notices -

Lawrence Buddo Waters
Event Date   04 Oct 1960
Event Place   Salisbury, Zimbabwe
Age   85
Birth Year - c.1875

JJ

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi JJen

I have the Census information for the whole family, thanks.  I am looking for some information about his time in South Africa.

Your  ???  is Cellardyke, Parish of Kilrenny, a former fishing village in the East Neuk of Fife.

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Zimbabwe Death notices - JJ

Thanks JJen ... your reply came in as I sent my last one

Chiad Fhear

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 March 17 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Andy. We've corresponded before, but maybe not about Wat(t)ers.
This Lawrence Waters had a brother, Peter Waters, who married Elizabeth Lecadit Watson of Cellardyke in 1904.  ... Sorry, getting a bit far removed from your original query here!
Harry

Hi Harry

Nice to hear from you again.

I'm hanging on by the fingertips, a bit far out in the wee twigs of the tree, with the Waters/Cunningham/Gourlay/Black/Buddo families, but they still connect through umpteen marriages, etc.

It was a big surprise and a real bonus finding the marriage record for Lawrence.  His wife is proving a bit more elusive as I can't quite pin her down on ScotlandsPeople without parents' names.  Next time I'm in Edinburgh I'll have a good look.

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 March 17 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Given that Jessie is usually a familiar form of Janet, she may be the Janet McKenzie born in 1873 at Lochinver to Hector McKenzie and Catherine Munro. No sign of Morrison, but I've known lots of cases where a person has no middle name in their birth-certificate but they seem to sprout one later in life (e.g. the famous Walter Hughes of Pittenweem and Cellardyke who becomes Sir Walter Watson Hughes later).

Harry

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 March 17 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Harry, that was very kind of you - a RAOGK - a Random Act of Genealogical Kindness  :)

It gives me a bit more to work with.

Chiad Fhear