Author Topic: James Litchfield born 1777 Duffield  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Lynn G

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Litchfield born 1777 Duffield
« on: Friday 17 March 17 13:05 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace this James born to Thomas Litchfield & Martha Potter at Duffield. Hoping someone can see if there is a burial for him at Duffield.
I'm descended from a James Litchfield who died in 1839 & lived at Hoyland which is between Ecclesfield & Barnsley in Yorkshire. Age at death was 65 so possibly within the right age range. There's no mention of this surname in the area & he married in 1800 at Rotherham. His children's names tie in with family names from Thomas & Martha.
If there's a death for the 1777 James at Duffield I can rule this one out.
Thanks Lynn

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Litchfield born 1777 Duffield
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 March 17 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Just as a starter..the James Litchfield baptised o4.06.1777 may be the one who married MARTHA MILBOURNE at Duffield 27.08.1822........this may help a bit..
Derek

EDIT....between 1715 and 1839 there was no Burial at Duffield for James Litchfield...........just for your information.the LITCHFIELD Burials at Duffield were:
 Sarah 19.02.1816 aged 80....William 14.06.1820 aged 64..and Elizabeth 01.08.1821 (at Heage) aged 68.
You should bear in mind that from 1837..a number of local parishes including Duffield Belper Heage and Heanor would have registered burials at BELPER DISTRICT.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Lynn G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 March 17 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek
Thanks for the input. The James who married Martha Milbourne/Melbourn was born in 1797 at Belper to William Litchfield & Elizabeth.  I've checked this branch on census & know he's not the one I'm looking for.
The surname Litchfield gets mistranscribed so often that it's difficult to track them.
Lynn

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 March 17 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Lynn..I've just added an EDIT to my Post.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 March 17 18:50 GMT (UK) »
It looks like James died before the 1841?????..the only death Registration i can find for a man of this name in the correct timescale is at Ecclesfield 1839...........and a marriage 14.04.1800 in Rotherham to ANN NOE..I wonder if she was still alive in 1841??...any children would give a clue...

Offline Lynn G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 March 17 19:01 GMT (UK) »
That's the correct one for my line. Their children have a lot of similar names as the Duffield ones which is what is making me think James moved up country. There is a Martha born 1805 so it looks like James passed his mother's name on.
His wife Ann dies in 1845 so haven't found where she is from either & her surname is another difficult one.
Lynn

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 March 17 19:22 GMT (UK) »
The siblings of James Litchfield 1777 Duffield..MIGHT yield some clues......
Charles 1760..died 1771
Martha 1761
Charles1772
Thomas 1772..........

I'm looking for Ann Noe..

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 April 17 23:29 BST (UK) »
The Ecclesall Bierlow one is 4th Qtr, vol 22,120.  He lived at Hoyland apparently and was buried at Wentworth on 1st December 1839.
Any use?
Derby Girl
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Winson (Dby), Stanley(Sts), Harrison(Dby to Rutland), Barker/Barber((Sts), Baston (Oxon), Wiltshire(Middx), Franklin (Herts/Beds)

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 April 17 10:43 BST (UK) »
Just to add - Hoyland was in the parish of Wath upon Dearne until 1855, so if your relative was buried in Wentworth they may have perhaps come from there or at least have some kind of special relationship - it might be worth a shot.
Derby Girl
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Winson (Dby), Stanley(Sts), Harrison(Dby to Rutland), Barker/Barber((Sts), Baston (Oxon), Wiltshire(Middx), Franklin (Herts/Beds)