Author Topic: Why would you name two sons the same?  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why would you name two sons the same?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 March 17 15:01 GMT (UK) »
My mother reckoned she knew a woman who had five or six sons and they were all called Charles / Charlie.  If the mother wanted a specific one of them, it was Charlie 1, Charlie 2, etc.

??? ??? ??? ???

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 March 17 18:42 GMT (UK) »
In Scotland if the family adhered to the traditional naming pattern this wouldn't have been that unusual.

Skoosh

Offline mentmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 March 17 22:45 GMT (UK) »

Thanks to everyone that replied to this.

William Samuel born 1892, in the 1901 census he is listed as William S. and the 1911 census he is Samuel.
William born 1898 March Q died 1898 March Q so only lived a matter of days.

William Samuel died 1919 and on the CWGC cert. it states that William Samuel was aged 24.  There is a memorial for Wm Samuel in Leighton-Linslade Cemetery but can't find anything as to where he died and is buried.

Thanks

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 March 17 23:32 GMT (UK) »
It looks like he is actually buried in the Leighton-Linslade cemetery (on Vandyke road). I doubt if the cemetery has a war memorial as there's a memorial in the centre of town by All Saints church, which lists William Samuel.

Grave: Private William Samuel Whybrow
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSvcid=558198&GRid=22496736&

Leighton Buzzard War Memorial - Church Square
http://www.leighton-linslade.com/wars/index.html
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 March 17 23:50 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't find any newspaper references re. William's death but the CWGC record states he died of pneumonia, so maybe his death wasn't deemed notable.

I did happen to come across a couple of other references to the family though.

Leighton Buzzard Observer and Linslade Gazette 12 January 1904:
DEATHS

WHYBROW. - On the 8th inst., at 36 East Street, Leighton Buzzard, Lily, daughter of Joseph Whybrow, aged 4 years.

WHYBROW. - On the 9th inst., at 36 East Street, Leighton Buzzard, Joseph, son of Joseph Whybrow, aged 8 months.

Lancashire Evening Post 16 July 1926:
BOLING TAR TRAGEDY

Cyril Whybrow, 21 of Leighton Buzzard, a roadman, walked backwards into a cauldron of boiling tar while spraying at Hockliffe. He upset the tar, and received extensive burns from which he died.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline mentmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 March 17 00:04 GMT (UK) »

Hi cuffie81

Thank you so much for all the information on the Whybrow family.
I have just come across some paperwork, that I must have had for a while, which says Wm Samuel Whybrow was wounded at Loos 1916 rejoined to France, 1919 died in hospital, presumably in England?
I did have the deaths of Lily and Joseph for the same year, but you have now told me they died a day after each other. Now wonder what that was about.
Also had a death age 21 for Cyril but not the cause. How tragic.
Out of 7 children born, only one survived long enough to marry.

Many thanks
Carol

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 March 17 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Glad to be of help Carol. And another reference to poor Cyril's fate...

Nottingham Journal 16 July 1926
BOLING TAR TRAGEDY
Man Falls Into Cauldron Which Catches Fire

A graphic story was told at a Luton inquest yesterday on Cyril Whybrow (21), of Leighton Buzzard, who died in Luton Hospital from burns.

Whybrow and a witness named David Underwood were engaged in tarring a road when the deceased was seen seated in a cauldron of boiling tar. Whybrow, in his struggles, upset the cauldron and the tar burst into flames. His clothing caught alight and Underwood dragged him to the side of the road and rolled him in the grass.

Underwood's own clothing, however, caught fire and when he had extinguished them he dragged deceased to a sand heap and put out the flames. After being rubbed with olive oil Whybrow was conveyed to the Hospital where he remained conscious until he died 18 hours later.

The Deputy Coroner for Bedfordshire, in returning a verdict of "Accidental death," commended Underwood on his conduct.