Author Topic: Find my Past world sub £1....... Please don't shoot the messenger!  (Read 12310 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Find my Past world sub £1....... Please don't shoot the messenger!
« Reply #27 on: Monday 20 March 17 09:32 GMT (UK) »
They should be understanding as it is a currently advertised discount code.

I think in the recent past they've started to limit the number of £1 subs they would sell.  I have a vague recollection of this happening the end of last year from memory, in the case of the UK site that may have happened.  May explain why it is still working on the Australian site but not the UK one.  Bit cheeky if they are advertising an end date. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 20 March 17 11:22 GMT (UK) »
I just purchased 1 month for Au$1 on the Australian site, I did observe that there are 2 ways to enter the code, one worked, one didn't. The one that one didn't work was when I didn't press the Apply button and used the option "Click here if you have a voucher code".

Mick
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 20 March 17 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I was (finally) able to get the £1 offer through U.K. site.

1st try- used debit card, message came up to verify transaction (£1) with bank (this usually involves putting in 3 random letters or numbers from my password but this time it went to screen saying to phone my bank)- transaction declined

2nd try- used credit card, message came up saying price was £9.95 although only difference to 1st time was different card

Then got an email saying I'd updated my account (after 2 emails saying transactions didn't go through)

3rd try- finally worked with credit card at £1

Each time I've gone in to use it I've looked at auto-renewal option in my account and un-checked that box & rec'd message asking if I really want to do so but each time I come back the auto-renewal box is checked  >:(
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 20 March 17 11:43 GMT (UK) »
They should be understanding as it is a currently advertised discount code.

I think in the recent past they've started to limit the number of £1 subs they would sell.  I have a vague recollection of this happening the end of last year from memory, in the case of the UK site that may have happened.  May explain why it is still working on the Australian site but not the UK one.  Bit cheeky if they are advertising an end date. :-\

I think FindMyPast automatically detects which country you are in and directs you to that site. I generally change it to .co.uk and in the past I have always been able to successfully use the voucher codes and pay the £1. Not this time - there may be some truth in them limiting £1 subscriptions, but it is unwise of them to do so because people get annoyed and are less likely to consider FindMyPast for a full subscription.

Whenever I sign up I generally email to check that I have successfully unticked autorenew. I have received some odd messages from them which did not inspire confidence. It's worth sending an email to confirm if unsure about anything.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 20 March 17 13:27 GMT (UK) »
I've kept logging in and out of FindMyPast and checking my details, the "Auto Renew" box has remained unchecked throughout  :)

The problem looks to have been sorted.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 20 March 17 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Each time I've gone in to use it I've looked at auto-renewal option in my account and un-checked that box & rec'd message asking if I really want to do so but each time I come back the auto-renewal box is checked  >:(
That was happening to me this morning. ::)
When I  scrolled to the bottom of the page with the message asking "do you really want to cancel" I found another box that I had to uncheck to make sure it was cancelled. ???
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 20 March 17 18:19 GMT (UK) »
That was happening to me this morning. ::)
When I  scrolled to the bottom of the page with the message asking "do you really want to cancel" I found another box that I had to uncheck to make sure it was cancelled. ???
Each time I also did that last step, rolnora, but each time when I went back and checked the box was ticked!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 20 March 17 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Frank.

Just did it with no problems and have checked back twice and am still unsubscribed. It has only been five minutes though.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 20 March 17 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Frank  I have successfully enrolled today until 19 April. I unchecked the renewal box without any problem

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett