Author Topic: 1807 London Will - William Houlder  (Read 258 times)

Offline caitcarl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1807 London Will - William Houlder
« on: Saturday 18 March 17 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello there, fellow researchers!

I wonder if some of you, who have more practice in deciphering the older English cursive used for administrative purposes. I simply do not have enough practice of yet to make out all the bits and pieces.

It is quite long, so if someone would like to simply translate the names, connections, and items bequeathed, that would be wonderful!

Best wishes,
Caitlin
New Hampshire
Houlder - London area
Jennings - London area
Ellis - London area

Online PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1807 London Will - William Houlder
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 March 17 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Try this:
William Houlder of the parish of St Saviour Southwark, Surrey, Glazier
To Nathaniel Chaters of St Dunstans Hill, London, Glass merchant & Thomas Woodley of Brent Pelham, Herts, farmer, my Trustees and Executors £5 5s each for a Ring.
To my dear Wife Sarah Houlder and the said Nathaniel Chaters and Thomas Woodley, a Messuage or Tenament now occupied by me in [Counter] Street Southwark together with the stock and utensils in Trade and Household Furniture therein upon Trust to permit my said Wife Sarah Houlder to carry on the Business of a Glazier and Painter until my son William Houlder shall attain his age of 21 years, when I give the same to him. I give to him £150 at age 21.

Residue of money to be invested in Government securities, Sarah to receive the profits from them for life, when son William would inherit.

Signed 18 Feb 1806
Will proved 14 May 1807 by Sarah Houlder, relict and Nathaniel Chater and Thomas Woodley
With a note that “Chater” was mistakenly written “Chaters” within the Will

The second half is mostly legal-ese about what was to be invested, and that no-one would be liable if the bonds invested in were to lose money, unless through neglect.
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline caitcarl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1807 London Will - William Houlder
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 17 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Prawn, thank you so very much!! This confirms the rest of the research I have done. Your time and efforts are much appreciated, a cousin and I were both trying to decipher and were getting frustrated! :)

Best wishes,
Caitlin
Houlder - London area
Jennings - London area
Ellis - London area