Author Topic: McAuley/Macaulay/McCauley  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Anna Fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McAuley/Macaulay/McCauley
« on: Sunday 19 March 17 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Assistance please .. I have been trying for years to find anyone or information relating to an Edwin J McCauley who married Mary Coleman Cawley, Massachusetts 1923.  The marriage certs informs that he stated his parents to be John McCauley and Jane Hendry .. other records after 1923 inform that his date of birth was given as 10 June 1896 .. he died on 10 February 1937 and is buried in Rhode Island. 

Some records state he was born in America whilst others inform Scotland ...

I can find nothing of him prior to the marriage nor can I find anyone else with the given parents names .. at this point I am starting to think he may have changed his forename. 

Any assistance would be most gratefully appreciated ..

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McAuley/Macaulay/McCauley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 March 17 18:02 GMT (UK) »
There is an online tree on A..ty which has him born in Northern Ireland.  Here is his grave:
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=143883434&ref=acom

The 1930 census has his place of birth as Ireland and his immigration year as 1920.  Mary's place of birth is Scotland but parents Irish.  Also arrived USA 1920.

Have found a record of Mary A McCauley in a border crossing at Detroit in 1922.  She is shown as married (housewife) age 26 born Scotland but nationality Irish (1930 census shows parents as Irish) residence 26 Linton Street, R.I.:

Name:   Mary Ann McCauley
Nationality:   Irish
Birth Date:   abt 1896
Birth Place:   Glasgow, Scotland
Arrival Date:   24 Nov 1922
Arrival Place:   Detroit, Michigan, USA

If correct I wonder about the 1923 marriage.  The online tree has the marriage in Scotland in 1918?

On the 1925 state census, Edwin's place of birth is given as Scotland as is Mary's.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Anna Fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 17 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Ray .. thank you so much .. that is the info which I already have on my tree .. I have all the details from 1923 onwards but struggle with anything before that time.

Thank you so much for responding  :)

Offline Anna Fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 March 17 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Sorry should have said .. I can find not find him on any shipping/migration records either to USA or Canada as sometimes is the case .. my aunt came through Canada .. but as I say nothing is turning up ..

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 March 17 18:51 GMT (UK) »
The online tree has Edwin and Mary marrying in Glasgow.  I have found Mary's marriage to her first husband Michael Cawley, but not found the marriage to Edwin.  Perhaps not married in Glasgow but did travel together and hence the 1923 marriage?

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Anna Fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 March 17 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ray .. I checked all that .. I have the first marriage to Michael Cawley he died 10 months into the marriage in WW1 .. Mary only had 4 days with him after the marriage before he was shipped out  ....  she then left Glasgow and went to Canada and then to America ... I have all the paperwork for that .. she entered America under the name of Cawley .. in 1923 she then married Edwin ..

I am almost convinced that for whatever reason he has changed his name .. which is why I can find no trace of him in any of the records ....

Thanks Anna   

Oh I should say if you are getting the info from a tree under the name of O'Keefe he got all the info from me ..

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 March 17 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Anna

With regard to the Detroit crossing information above.  I looked at the back of the form again where it gave the Linton Street address. 

On the remarks it has: 

Certificate of Registry #119655 granted 12-9-39

Reed: Mary Ann  age 43

26 Linton Street R.I

Hairdresser

5'  light blue/brown, birth mark on left hand.

I assume that Reed is the third husband?  If this is the case she was calling herself McCauley in 1922.

Forgot to say welcome to rootschat.  I hope you get as much help has I have received over the years. 

Offline Anna Fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 March 17 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Ray hope I have done this properly .. here is the copy of the marriage cert for Mary Ann and Edwin .. the details for parents of Mary Ann are totally correct ..

Yes Ray Reed  is her third husband .. this is the link to my page on ancestry for her ..https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/37209865/person/19052701789/facts

and this is the one for the info I have on Edwin .. https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/37209865/person/28443084204/facts
hope you are able to access them that way you can see what info I already have ..

Her parents are Michael Coleman and Annie Johnston.    Mary Ann was born in Glasgow 22nd June 1895 .. I have her birth cert .. I also have her arrival form for Canada in 1920 and the one for 1922 Detroit border crossing but I never thought about the date until you have pointed it out .. her passenger records are all under the name of Cawley and the address she left Scotland from is that of my Grandad .. her next of kin address I can confirm as my great aunt .. and yes her third marriage was to a Mr Reed and she was a hairdresser.

I am now wondering if she married in a civil service and then the Church service took place later ..

all a puzzle ..

Anna

Offline Anna Fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 March 17 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Ray her first marriage was to Michael Joseph Cawley ..12 Oct 1917 • Springburn District, Lanark County he died 02 Sep 1918 • France & Flanders so she would have to have married after that died .. can you tell me the name of the tree on ancestry please .. dont seem to be able to find it ..

I do know that Mary Ann never had any children with her three husbands and she had returned to Scotland in 1946 to take my mother back with her to train as a hairdresser but my mother had become ill with TB and when Gt. Aunt Mary arrived my mum was being admitted to hospital to have her lung removed so she ended up taking another cousin named May Mitchell in her place .. my mother told me all this years ago and it was confirmed by her brother and her cousin both aged 95 but as sharp as a tack with their memories.

Thank you
Anna